We can’t believe we were finally able to add a vegan and gluten-free french toast to our breakfast rotation.
How to make french toast without wheat, eggs, soy and milk?
If you haven’t tried Just Egg, we highly recommend this versatile egg replacement product. We used this for the base of our eggless custard french toast. Just Egg is made from mung beans. Mung beans are a protein-rich legume and highly versatile, often used for soups or stews, and a staple of Asian diets.
Just Egg contains 5g of plant-based protein per serving (similar content of chicken egg for equal volume) and is dairy-free and egg-free for people with egg allergies.
For our bread we used Atlanta based Pure Knead bread company. They are an 8 allergen free (Gluten Free • Dairy/Casein Free • Egg Free • Fish Free • Peanut Free • Soy Free • Shellfish Free • Tree Nut Free • Vegan) bread company. They make bread, hamburger and hot dog buns that are light with no real gritty mouth feel.
We are really happy with the way this vegan gluten-free french toast turned out. And to top it off it's soy and dairy-free also. We are excited we found both of these products and are excited to start trying some new vegan french toast flavor combos, thinking cardamon + ginger.
Enjoy this fast and easy french toast recipe. No one will be the wiser about this delicious allergy-friendly vegan, gluten-free, egg and soy free.
Vegan Gluten-Free French Toast (Soy and Dairy Free)
- 8 slices Vegan Gluten Free Bread You want to use stale bread as it will absorb more of the custard
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 cup Just Egg
- ½ cup Plant-based Milk
- Vegan Butter For cooking French Toast
- Combine egg replacer, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and milk in a wide shallow dish and mix together
- Soak the bread slices in the custard mixture for about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through
- Be careful to not let the bread get to soggy. The thicker the bread the longer you want it to soak
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat and add dab of butter to oil pan
- Careful remove bread from custard letting excess drip off and place in pan
- Cook each slice for about 2 minutes on each side, until browned. Serve immediately.
If you give this gluten free vegan recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way