Once you had these roasted to tender perfection vegan brussels sprouts topped with umami packed crispy shiitake mushrooms bacon you’ll never look back.
Trust us when we say these oven roasted sprouts have your name on them.
Brussels sprouts used to be on our top 3 most hated vegetables ever list, period. Mushy, bitter and just a mess, really. But about five years ago one of my besties reintroduced them to me. She made pan roasted sprouts with honey glazed pecans and just like thats; love, sweet, crispy and smoky heaven.
Roasting really brings out a smokey, sweet flavor and they crisp up so nice.
I made them for Shad a few years ago and we’ve never looked back. This healthy side dish is perfect for the holidays or sunday dinner.
Brussels sprouts are also a great source of fiber, vitamins and one cup has 4g of protein for only 43 calories.
Brussels sprouts have a lot of a natural, sulfur-based substance with a name that's a bit of a tongue twister: glycosinolate glucobrassicin. Research shows that this compound may help prevent damage to your DNA that raises your chances of getting cancer. It may also stop new blood vessels from growing inside tumors.Webmd.com
Mushroom Bacon is: crispy, smoky, salty in the right way & easy to make
You’ll reach for the mushroom bacon recipe over and over again. Its perfect with these roasted brussels sprouts; but, also great in salads, pasta or a vegan BLT sandwich. This is a simple recipe for perfectly crispy bacon like mushroom.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Vegan Mushrooms Bacon
- Brussels sprouts
- Olive oil
Vegan Shiitake Mushroom Bacon Recipe
- 1 package Shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons Tamari sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons Olive oil
- NOTE: Prepare the mushroom bacon first and while cooling prepare and cook Brussels sprouts.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Remove any bruised, wet, damage outer leaves
- Using a paring knife, trim off the bottoms sprouts, just the dried and brown portion of the stem
- Cut the sprouts in half lengthwise through the stem
- Place in colander and rinse and drain until dry
- In large bowl mix with the olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
- Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside
- Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly
- Sprinkle with more salt and serve
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice mushrooms thinly
- Place mushrooms in a large bowl; add soy sauce, olive oil and season with salt
- Evenly spread mushrooms in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in oven and carefully tossing with every 5 to 10 minutes, until dry and crisp, taking care not to burn about 20 minutes total.
- Remove from baking dish; mushroom "bacon" may be used hot or at room temperature
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
They made the perfect side dish with our homemade gluten-free vegan Mac & Cheese recipe.
What questions do you have? Leave us your questions/comments below or on Instagram at #thevgnway.
If you give these roasted brussels sprouts with vegan mushroom bacon recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram at #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way
Love brussel sprouts and really liked adding the mushroom bacon. It was surprisingly crispy and bacon like.