This is a deliciously creamy and cheesy plant- based lasagna dish filling and wonderfully gluten-free.
A lot of Italian dishes we make have cheese at their center. In addition to finding a good, gluten free & vegan cheese you also have to make sure to find one with a good melting point and harder texture.
For the recipe we used a lot of different plant based cheese brands, because some brands either don't provide a cheese type or in our opinion we just get better results.
Similarly, for this particular recipe you want the sauce to be very creamy.
You won't go wrong using a heavy cream milk like Chobani's Oatmilk.
How To Make Vegan & Gluten-Free Spinach Lasagna Rollata with Bechamel Sauce
- 8-10 Lasagna sheets - we use Barilla Gluten free brand
- 16 ounces Spinach
- 4 ounces Plant based mozzarella cheese shreds - we like using Daiya brand
- 4 ounces Plant based feta cheese - we use Violife brand
- 3 ounces Plant based parmesan cheese - we use Follow Your Heart
- 3 Garlic cloves quartered
- 1 Egg replacer - we use Bob's Red Mill
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 ounces Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup All-purpose gluten free flour
- 4 ounces Plant based butter - we use Earth Balance
- ⅛ teaspoon Nutmeg - ground
- 4 cups Plant-based Milk - we use Chobani Oat, Plain Extra Creamy
- 2 ounces Plant based mozzarella cheese shreds
- 2 ounces Plant based parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper - to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Begin by cooking the lasagna sheets
- Once fully cooked, lay lasagna sheets out on a pan
- Oil a pan and add garlic letting it simmer for a minute
- Add spinach to the pan bit by bit saute to a reduced size
- Remove spinach and strain as much of the liquid out as possible
- Set aside to cool wile starting the bechamel sauce
- In a medium sized pot, melt the butter, stir gently
- Add the flour, stir gently
- Stir in milk and add nutmeg and a little pepper
- Let it cook on low for 8 to 10 minutes
- Let the sauce simmer on low
- Return to the cooled spinach, chopping it into very small pieces
- In a medium sized bowl add the egg replacer
- Mix in the feta and spinach
- Add parmesan cheese and mix lightly
- Add mozzarella and a little pepper and mix lightly
- Add a good amount of the mix to each lasagna sheet, spreading mix flat across entire sheet
- By hand, tightly roll the lasagna
- Return to the low simmering bechemal sauce
- Add parmesan cheese to the sauce and mix
- Add mozzarella cheese to the sauce and mix
- Spoon some of the mix into a baking dish making sure to coat the bottom and edges completely
- One by one place the lasagna rolls into the dish
- Coat the rolls with the rest of the sauce
- Place into the oven and let it cook for 30 to 35 minutes (if it has a light browning to it that's a good time to take it out)
- Serve an enjoy!
If you give this gluten-free vegan recipe a try, let us know!
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way