A Vegan Version Of The Classic Dish With Beets! Made With Vegan Thousand Island Dressing, Vegan Swiss Cheese And Sauerkraut. A Delicious Alternative To The Classic Deli Favorite.
These are not your grandmother's beets! Before we even get into the beet part of this delicious vegan reuben recipe. Let's start at the beginning.
The Reuben is a classic New York sandwich with a filling of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and Russian dressing grilled between two hearty slices of rye bread.
If your full-time plant-based, transitioning or just looking for a Meatless Monday recipe; there's always a few favorite food items you think, "no way can I find a vegan version just as good or better. "We're here to tell you, this vegan Beet Reuben will not disappoint. In fact, it will give you a new found respect for root vegetables. These ingredients come together so perfectly, the name really doesn't do it justice.
Why This Recipe Works
- It’s actually very easy to make. The longest part is baking the beets.
- The sandwich is delicious. Beets have a bad rap. We all remember the bad tasting canned, vinegar doused and overcooked objects of our childhood.
Red or Golden Beets - For whatever reason, a lot of people's first introduction to beets are cold beets in a vinegar brine. A very strong and acquired taste which can turn some off of beets for life.
Beets in reality are actually sweet. Very sweet. Roasting beets transforms beets into something tender and so sweet. You can really taste this when you juice or roast them. Seriously, these are not your grandmother's beets!
The texture of beets are firm but roasting gives them a nice tenderness.
Rye bread - if your not gluten-free
Vegan Swiss cheese - we like Chao it melts well.
Sauerkraut - Be sure to drain as much liquid from the sauerkraut as you can or the sandwich will be soggy.
Dressing - We included the recipe but to save time you could buy a pre-made vegan dressing.
If you don’t like sauerkraut, you can use coleslaw instead.
You can substitute Thousand Island if you don’t like Russian dressing.
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Step 2: Wash beets and use a y-peeler to peel skin off. Your hands and nails will be stained if you don't wear gloves.
Step 3: Brush the beets with olive oil and season with coriander, salt and pepper.
Step 4: Wrap the beets in foil and roast for 1 hour, until tender.
Step 5: While beets cook make dressing. In a bowl mix mayonnaise, ketchup, relish and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to your taste. Set aside.
Step 6: Toast buns and set aside4 slices Gluten-free Bread of your choice.
Step 7: After beets are done. Slice beets to whatever thickness you prefer.
Step 8: Preheat broiler.
Step 9: Assembly Beet Reuben. Adding beet slices, sauerkraut and cheese. Broil about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Vegan cheese doesn't melt well be careful not to burn your Reuben.
Note: You should refrigerate your beets. Do not wash until ready to use. Store in a breathable bag in the high-humidity drawer of the refrigerator. Separate green tops from the beets, leaving 1 in/2.5 cm inch of stem on the beet (otherwise the greens will draw moisture away from the beet). The green tops can be stored separately in a breathable bag in the high-humidity drawer and used like chard
Note: Be sure to drain as much liquid from the sauerkraut as you can or the sandwich will be soggy
Look for smooth, hard, round beets. The surface should be unbruised and free of cuts. Avoid beets with soft, moist spots or shriveled, flabby skin.
When choosing your beets, pick equal-sized ones so that they will cook evenly. Beets can stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. To reduce moisture loss from beet roots, cut off the beet greens before storing. Leave at least an inch of the stem attached. Do not wash beets before storing.
More Vegan Sandwich Recipes
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below & if you REALLY like it, consider a comment down below. Thanks!
Vegan Beet Reuben
- 2 large Beets Red or Golden
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 slices Gluten-free Bread of your choice Rye bread if your not gluten-free
- 2 slices Vegan Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup Sauerkraut drained
- ¼ cup Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Sweet Pickle Relish
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Wash beets and use a y-peeler to peel skin off. Your hands and nails will be stained if you don't wear gloves2 large Beets
- Brush the beets with olive oil and season with coriander, salt and pepper½ teaspoon Coriander powder, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Salt & Pepper
- Wrap the beets in foil and roast for 1 hour, until tender2 large Beets
- While beets cook make dressing. In a bowl mix mayonnaise, ketchup, relish and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to your taste. Set aside.¼ cup Vegan Mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon Ketchup, 1 tablespoon Sweet Pickle Relish, 1 tablespoon Lemon juice, Salt & Pepper
- Toast buns and set aside4 slices Gluten-free Bread of your choice
- After beets are done. Slice beets to whatever thickness you prefer2 large Beets
- Preheat broiler
- Assembly Beet Reuben. Adding beet slices, sauerkraut and cheese. Broil about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Vegan cheese doesn't melt well be careful not to burn your Reuben¼ cup Sauerkraut, 2 slices Vegan Swiss cheese
Be sure to check out more of our plant-based dinner recipes.
If you do try the Beet Reuben be sure to tag us on Instagram at #thevgnway
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way
Can’t believe how good this sandwich is. Don’t normally like beets even, but this is so tasty! Happy to now say I like beets, well maybe only in this sandwich lol.