How To Make A One Dish Vegan Cauliflower Tamale Pie
- 1 large Head of cauliflower - riced
- 2 cups Shredded plant based pepper jack cheese
- 1 ½ cups Shredded plant based cheddar cheese
- 1 Egg replacer - we use Bob’s Red Mill
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ Onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic - minced
- ¾ pound Plant-based crumbles - we use Gardien brand Beefless Ground
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- 1 ¼ cup Enchilada sauce
- 1 14 oz can Black beans - drained
- 1 14 oz can Corn - drained
- 3 Green onions - chopped
- Plant-based sour cream
- 1 Avocado -sliced
- To rice head of cauliflower, cut the crowns into a bowl, wash and then microwave for 3 minutes (or oven warm for 5-10 minutes at 350°)
- Place steamed cauliflower in a food processor, large bullet (in parts) or large blender - blend until rice sized.
- Preheat your oven to 425°
- Spoon riced cauliflower into a bowl, then add 1 cup of pepper jack cheese, 1/2 cup of cheddar and mix.
- Add 1 vegan egg and oregano and mix.
- Season with salt and pepper and continue to mix until well combined
- Grease a large oven pan
- Press the cauliflower mixture into the pan and bake for 25 minutes
- As the cauliflower bakes, add oil to a skillet over medium heat and stir in minced garlic and onions until golden and fragrant
- Stir in crumbles and brown, add chili powder and cumin continue mixing.
- Add black beans and corn, bringing the mixed ingredients to a simmer.
- Spread mixture over baked cauliflower crust, top with remaining cheese
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted
- Garnish with chopped green onions, avocado and sour cream
Cauliflower has really been gaining popularity in gluten-free and vegan communities in the last few years. It's such and amazing and diverse food item that can be made into several dishes that will blow your mind. So, don't shy away from it.
With its neutral flavor we've found ourselves creating more and more recipes with cauliflower as the main ingredient. Pizza crust in our home made pizza, gnocchi made with cauliflower flour, and even buffalo spicy sandwiches.
You'll find Cauliflower adapts well to flavors. Especially with the sweet and spicy flavors of tamale pie. The ingredients bake down into the cauliflower, mixing and enhancing it.
Be sure to check out more of our quick and easy plant-based recipes and leave a comment to let us know how you like it!
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way