“Chia seeds are the edible seeds of, a flowering plant in the mint family”; curious since they have no traceable mint flavor.
You can pick up a bag of Chia seeds at your local grocery store, Bob’s Red Mill is a popular brand or order them online from Amazon.
For this porridge/pudding recipe we are taking advantage of the chia seeds gelatin producing properties when liquid is added.
Chia seed pudding; similar to tapioca pudding, is made with any type of milk, sweetener and whole chia seeds.
Nutritionally speaking chia seeds are a good source of omega-3 fatty acid, comparable only to flax and hemp seed in the plant kingdom; protein and fiber.
The gel from ground seeds also makes a good egg replacer in vegan and vegetarian recipes as well as a substitute for people with egg allergies.
Blueberry Pomegranate Chia Pudding
- ¼ cup Chia seeds
- 3 cup Water
- ¾ cup Cashews
- ¼ cup Pecans
- 3 tablespoons Honey
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ teaspoon Cardamom use cinnamon if preferred
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Garnish with Blueberries, pomegranates and chopped pecans
- In a blender, puree the water, salt, pecans, cashews, vanilla, honey, and cardamom as smooth as possible in a bullet or food processor with the bullet it will be s little clumpy
- In a large bowl mix chia seeds with the blended mixture. Stir to combine
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning you have a sweet thick porridge like pudding
- Top with fruit and chopped nuts
- Store leftover in fridge
Be sure to check out more of our breakfast recipe.
What questions do you have? Leave us your questions/comments below or on Instagram at #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way
"Adapted from Leela Cyd The Kitchn"