Roasted Acorn slices make a quick and delicious side dish that the entire family will enjoy. Easy to make and a great side dish perfect for busy weeknights.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. However you can find important tips/tricks in the post.
Why You’ll Love These
Acorn squash makes a perfect baked vegan side for weeknight dinner and especially during the holidays. Our simple pomegranate and orange glaze takes this from a weeknight side to a holiday star.
Acorn squash is a winter squash that belongs to the same family as butternut squash, pumpkin and zucchini and has a sweet nutty flavor we all love.
It’s low in calories and packed with various nutrients, especially vitamin C.
How To Pick The Perfect Acorn Squash.
They come in three colors orange, dark green and buff.
- The buff variety has the most concentrated flavor. Choose a rock solid squash.
- Choose squash with a matte skin versus shiny.
- Do not purchase squash with soft spots or bruises.
The skin on an acorn squash is too tough to eat.
How To Easily Cut Acorn Squash
Cutting an acorn squash might seem really difficult because of their amazingly tough skin. But you can either microwave it for a few minutes or warm in an oven to soften the skin.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place on a baking sheet and place in oven for 15 minutes.
Allow to cool for 10/15 minutes.
Once cool, a sturdy knife will slice through it easily and the skins will peel off. After cutting thru the center.
Take a large spoon and scoop out all of the seeds.
To cut into slices start by cutting off a thin slice off bottom to flatten so that it’s secure when cutting and that you have a firm grip.
Cut across the stem end so that it's flat then cut down the body of the squash making 8 to 10 slices (like orange slices)
Onions and Garlic - optional
For Orange Pomegranate glaze (optional)
Oranges - juiced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place squash on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Oil squash slices and sprinkle with salt and pepper then bake between 45 to 60 minutes at 375°. While cooking make glaze for squash.
Enjoy with pan fried tofu.
How To Cook Acorn Squash Slices
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 Acorn Squash
- Salt and Pepper - to taste
- Olive oil
Orange Pomegranate glaze (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon Water
- 2 Oranges -juiced
- ½ Pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoon Maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice acorn squash (see instructions above).
- Place squash on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Oil squash slices and sprinkle with salt and pepper then bake.
- Roast in oven for 45 to 60 minutes at 375°. While cooking make glaze for squash.
Orange Pomegranate glaze
- In a small measuring cup add 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water and whisk together.
- Set aside.
- In a sauce pan add juice of two oranges, pomegranate seeds and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
- After one minute stir in the cornstarch water mixture.
- Stir until thicken on low-medium heat. Pour over squash.
Leave a comment with your favorite vegan barbeque menu item, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram at #thevgnway
Be sure to check out more of our quick and easy plant-based recipes on www.thevgnway.com
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way