We made this southern classic and added a twist, Honey Chickpea Cornbread. We used chickpea flour for a nice protein kick. No dairy, no gluten but all the delicious buttery, hearty flavor you love.
Is Cornbread Gluten Free?
Yes, this recipe is made from cornmeal. Cornmeal is made of ground yellow corn and corn is naturally gluten-free. Always get grains that are certified gluten-free; specifically made in a gluten-free facility to avoid cross-contamination. Store bought mixes may used wheat or gluten additives so always read your labels to confirm.
This chickpea cornbread recipe uses cornmeal and chickpea flour. We always use certified gluten-free flours to avoid the possibility contamination. As well as rereading the ingredient labels of regularly purchased brands in case of reformulation that do happen from time to time.
Chickpea flour, we’re always looking for ways to sneak in protein and this cornbread is no exception. We always have quinoa and chickpea flour on deck and test to see if the recipe can handle adding one. We were happily surprised that we didn’t notice any difference what so ever with the addition of the chickpea flour and got to add a little protein.
How To Make Vegan Gluten-free Cornbread
- ½ cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup + 4 tablespoons Chickpea flour
- 1 cup Yellow Corn Meal
- 1½ teaspoon Salt
- ⅔ cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 ¼ cup Unsweetened Plant Based Milk
- ⅓ cup Canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400° and lightly grease a 8x8 pan
- In a large bowl , combine both of the flours, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Mix your dry ingredients together until well combined
- Stir in plant based milk then stir in the canola oil until well combined
- Pour batter into prepared pan
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the top is golden brown (test with a toothpick)
- Add a drizzle of agave honey, vegan honee, or regular honey across the top
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It is a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This cornbread goes great with our sweet potato lentil chili or spicy kale salad recipe.
If you give this vegan gluten-free cornbread recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
THE VGN WAY