It’s The Perfect Soup For Rainy Days! You'd Never Guess That This Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup Is Totally Dairy- Free! This Satisfying Creamy Soup Is Filling, Delicious With A Base Of Vegetable Broth, Oat Milk And White Beans. A Great Vegan, Gluten-Free Soup For Chilly Nights
This vegan broccoli soup recipe came from our what to do with leftovers article. Broccoli soup is an easy fall/winter recipe that keeps you warm and tastes absolutely fantastic.
Why This Recipe Works
- You will be pleasantly surprise about how creamy and delicious this recipe is without any dairy.
- This soup is a delicious and healthy option for anyone looking for a lighter version of the classic.
- Broccoli is a nutrient rich vegetable thats high in fiber, vitamins and minerals. A perfect way to sneak more vegetables and vitamins into your daily meals.
Broccoli - the crown and stalks
Non-dairy milk - to add creaminess
Gluten-Free flour - use with the vegan butter to create a roux to help thicken the soup
Celery, Onion (white or red) and Garlic – To add savory depth of flavor
White Beans - helps with creaminess
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Step 1: Rinse and chop broccoli crown and stem; dice onion and set both aside.
Step 2: Melt 2 tablespoons of vegan butter in dutch oven/pot.
Step 3: Sauté diced onion and celery flakes about 4 minutes.
Step 4: Add broccoli and broth. Cover and steam broccoli until they’re tender about 15 minutes.
Step 5: Let cooked broccoli mixture cool for a few minutes and then pour mixture and ½ cup of drained and rinsed canned white beans into a blender/food processor and blend into a puree (about 4 to 5 minutes).
Step 6: Add puréed broccoli mixture back into pot and place on low heat.
Step 7: In a small saucepan over medium heat melt 3 tablespoons vegan butter. Stir in flour and add non-dairy milk. Stir until roux thickens.
Step 8: Once roux is thickened pour into pot with the puréed broccoli. Stir until soup is well blended.
Step 9: Serve with a drizzle of olive oil. Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and diced red peppers for added texture if desired.
How To Get Creamy Soup Without Dairy or Nuts?
A lot of vegan soups use potatoes, coconut milk or nuts like cashews to achieve that smooth and creamy texture you normally get with dairy.
In this dairy-free soup we used plant-based oat milk and white beans. But don’t worry there’s not beany taste. The beans have the added benefit of adding a great protein boost along with the protein already present in the broccoli. 1 cup of broccoli has 2.6g of protein.
Can I Use Frozen Broccoli In Soup?
This recipe is so versatile that both prepackaged frozen broccoli works just as well as fresh.
- Refrigerator. With the absence of any dairy this gluten-free vegan broccoli soup will last a week in the refrigerator
- To Store. Stored in an airtight container, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freeze. Allow it to cool before freezing and be careful not to leave it at room temperature for over an hour to avoid bacteria. You can freeze the soup if you have leftover or if food prepping. Store in a large freezer safe ziplock bag for up to three months.
More Dairy-Free Vegan Soup Recipes
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below & if you REALLY like it, consider a comment down below. Thanks!
Dairy-Free Broccoli Soup (Vegan)
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- Blender/Food Processor
- Dutch Oven/Large Pot
- 8 cups Broccoli ~ 2 medium heads of broccoli
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups Oat Milk
- 1 Medium onion - diced
- ½ cup White Beans
- 5 tablespoons Vegan butter reserve three 3 tablespoons for roux
- 3 tablespoons Gluten-free Flour
- 1 tablespoon Celery flakes
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Ground Black Pepper and Salt - to taste
- Chop and rinse broccoli
- Melt 2 tablespoons of vegan butter in dutch oven/pot
- Saute onion and celery flakes about 4 minutes
- Add broccoli and broth. Cover and steam broccoli until they’re tender about 15 minutes
- Let cooked broccoli mixture cool for a few minutes and then pour mixture and beans into a blender/food processor and blend into a puree (about ⅘ minutes)
- Add puréed broccoli mixture back into pot and place on low heat
- In a small saucepan over medium heat melt 3 tablespoons vegan butter. Stir in flour and add oat milk (stir until thick)
- Once roux is thickened pour into large pot with puréed broccoli and stir to mix
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil. Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and diced red peppers for added texture if desired.
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
PIN! For Later
Be sure to check out more great vegan and gluten-free dinner recipes at www.thevgnway.com
Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram @vgnway
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way