- 3 cups Vegetable broth
- 4-6 packages Mushrooms Whatever you like Button, Portobello, Oyster
- 1 ounce Dried Shiitake mushrooms
- 3 Carrots (cut into chunks)
- 1 Onion (cut into chunks)
- 1 large piece - Kelp Kombu
- 4 - Bay Leaves
- ¼ cup Tamari sauce
- 2 Inch piece Ginger
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil extra virgin for best results
- Rice Noodles
- 3 tablespoons Lime
- Spinach or Bok Choy
- In a large, heat proof bowl. Add the kelp and dried mushrooms. Cover with 2 cups of boiling water to rehydrate the mushroom (reserve this broth for later use in recipe). This should sit for an hour to get all the umani flavor.
Making the stock
- In a very large pot (like a dutch oven) add 3 cups of water and the 3 cups of vegetable broth.
- Prepare fresh mushrooms by separating mushroom caps and mushroom stems to be used in broth base. Reserving the caps for later use.
- Roughy chop the following; mushroom stems, carrots, onion, ginger, bay leaves, tamari soy and add to pot along with five spice powder. Note: in making the stock we will be discarding these vegetables. Bring to boil around 5 minutes and then reduce to simmer. Cover and let simmer for 60 minutes.
- In a large skillet add reserved mushroom caps, salt and pepper. Sauté mushrooms about 5 minutes until pan is dry. Reduce heat and cook another 10 minutes until mushroom are crisp. Set aside.
- Return to step 1, the bowl of kelp and dried mushrooms. Reserving the liquid. Strain kelp and rehydrated mushrooms. Discard kelp. Add reserved liquid to pot of broth. Lastly chop and add rehydrated mushrooms to skillet. Cook another 5 minutes
- Add lime juice and bring mixture to boil then turn off heat.
- Cook rice noodles
- Put finished noodles in a bowl, add broth and garnish with red pepper flakes and parsley
If you give this vegan gluten-free Pho a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way