A great soy-free tofu alternative
First let's start with the fact that chickpea tofu is a soy free, dairy free and gluten free workhouse protein option. Chickpea tofu (also referred to as Burmese tofu) is similar to soy tofu with a subtle mild flavor which makes it perfect for sweeter dishes too.
It ridiculous how easy and simple it is to make this plant based protein. With the added benefit of being sourced from legumes for those looking for a non-soy no animal protein source.
Health benefits of chickpeas also high in manganese, fiber and iron.
We used it for a hearty breakfast bowl (pictured above) with granola, sweet potatoes, coconut yogurt and hemp seeds.
Double this chickpea tofu recipe and get a head start on your meal prepping.
Try it with:
- Veggie and Buddha Bowls
How To Make Soy-free Chickpea Tofu
- 1 cup Chickpea flour Note at our local farmers market it is sold under the label Gram flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- 3 cups Water
- Neutral favor oil like canola
- Oil a 8 x 8 glass baking dish, set aside
- In large bowl, mix together Chickpea flour, Salt and Turmeric
Add 1.5 cups of water and whisk until smooth
- In a saucepan add 1.5 cups of water and bring to boil
- Add chickpea mix and whisk over medium heat for about 8 minutes, the mixture should be thick and glossy
- Pour into a glass dish and let sit for approximately one hour it will solidify
- Cut and store in the refrigerator
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way