It’s The Perfect Soy-Free Alternative To Tofu. Just 4 Ingredients To Make Chickpea Tofu (Also Known As Burmese Tofu). A Great Soy-Free, Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Alternative. Easy To Make, Healthy And A Delicious Source Of Protein.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. However you can find important tips/tricks in the post.
Why You’ll Love These
It ridiculous how easy & simple it is to make this plant based protein.
It’s very versatile - great marinated, baked or fried.
It has a mild subtle flavor.
With the added benefit of being sourced from legumes for those looking for a non-soy no animal protein source.
For more meat-free alternatives recipes try our: pecan taco meat bowl, mushroom burgundy or our oyster mushroom po boy.
- Chickpea Flour - at our local farmers market it is sold under the label Gram flour.
- Salt for flavor.
- Turmeric is optional for color.
- Neutral favor oil like canola.
- Glass baking dish
- Large mixing bowl
- Small pot & whisk
Franklin Farms sells chickpea tofu at Whole Foods.
There are many health benefits of chickpeas and therefore chickpea tofu some being there high in manganese, fiber and iron.
Substitutions & Variations
If your looking for a soy-free tofu but can’t make it today. Here are a couple of pre-made store bought soy-free alternatives.
Franklin Farms - chickpea tofu sold at Whole Foods
Foodies Pumfu - made for pumpkin seeds is sold at local health food stores
Big Mountain Foods - made from fava beans
If your looking for more alternatives be sure to check our meat-free alternatives guide.
Step 1: Oil a 8 x 8 glass baking dish, set aside.
Step 2: In a saucepan add 1.5 cups of water and bring to boil.
Step 3: In large bowl, mix together Chickpea flour, Salt and turmeric powder. Add 1.5 cups of water and whisk until smooth.
Step 4: Turn heat down to medium low. Add chickpea mix and whisk constantly over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes, the mixture will come together quickly and should be thick and glossy.
Step 5: Pour into a glass dish.
Step 6: Let sit for approximately one hour, it will solidify.
Step 7: Cut and store in the refrigerator.
Double this chickpea tofu recipe and get a head start on your meal prepping.
No, canned chickpeas will not work because the starch in the canned chickpea has already been cooked and will not create the structure you need for the tofu.
Storage & Reheating
- To Store. Store leftover soy-free tofu in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- To Freeze. Freezing tofu changes the texture of the tofu so we do not recommend it.
- Prepare In Advance. It keeps well so you can make it a day or two in advance.
More Chickpea Recipes
Chickpea Tofu for breakfast - pictured above. A new way to do breakfast with chickpea tofu for breakfast. Sweet & Salty Cinnamon Chickpea Tofu Breakfast Bowl with baked sweet potatoes, vanilla maple granola with hemp seed and a dollop of coconut yogurt.
Cornbread with Chickpea Flour
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below & if you REALLY like it, consider a comment down below. Thanks!
Chickpea Tofu (No Soy Tofu)
- glass baking dish
- Large mixing bowl
- Small pot & whisk
- 1 cup Chickpea flour Note at our local farmers market it is sold under the label Gram flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- 3 cups Water - divided
- 2 teaspoon Oil - Neutral favor oil like canola
- Oil a 8 x 8 glass baking dish, set aside2 teaspoon Oil
- In a saucepan add 1.5 cups of water and bring to boil.3 cups Water
- In large bowl, mix together Chickpea flour, Salt and turmeric powder. Add 1.5 cups of water and whisk until smooth.1 teaspoon Salt, ¼ teaspoon Turmeric, 3 cups Water, 1 cup Chickpea flour
- Turn heat down to medium low. Add chickpea mix and whisk constantly over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes, the mixture will come together quickly and should be thick and glossy.
- Pour into a glass dish and let sit for approximately one hour it will solidify. Cut and serve.
- Serving suggestion. You can gently fry in a nonstick pan with a little oil. And have with a veggie bowl or stir fry.
- Store in the refrigerator.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It is a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
If you give this recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way
Can’t believe how simple it was to make this tofu. I never knew I could make this at home with so few ingredients and I like switching up between soy based and this. Thankfully to have found this t recipe.