Sometimes you just want to skip the soy and pecans are a great meat substitute because of the texture, taste and they are a good source of protein. Vegan pecan taco “meat” will be your new go-to for bowls, tacos or quesadillas
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. However you can find important tips/tricks in the post like how to store, reheat and substitutesJump to Recipe
Table of contents
There are three parts to building this pecan taco bowl. Two recipes and the toppings.
The first is a copycat; chipotle copycat cauliflower cilantro lime rice recipe but instead of rice we used cauliflower. The recipe can work for cauliflower or rice.
The second recipe is a simplified version of Tabitha Brown’s original recipe. Our pecan taco meat is seasoned with just liquid amino acid, garlic, onions, bell peppers and taco seasoning. Its a good and simple no cook, raw nut meat taco substitute.
Lastly, are the mounds of flavorful toppings that all tie together for the perfect taco bowl. These toppings are our favorites but you could definitely add toppings like shredded lettuce/spinach, pico de gallo or guacamole.
What Does Pecan Meat Taste Like?
We’ve honestly served this to folks that didn’t even realize it was vegan and definitely not nuts. Nutty, smoky and savory this is a fantastic animal protein substitute. With a crumbly and tender texture.
Most of the ingredients are common items you would find in a taco, burrito or tex-mex bowl recipe. For our vegan gluten-free bowl we’ve used two less common ingredients. A great soy free meat substitute that’s versatile enough to be used in a lot of dishes when your looking for something that’s not soy.
- Pecans - are a heart healthy nut that are grown and readily available here in Georgia. Pecans are a natural, high-quality source of protein that contain very few carbohydrates and no cholesterol. “Eating 1.5 ounces per day of most nuts, such as pecans, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease.”
- Liquid Amino Acids - Trader Joe’s Organic Coconut Aminos Seasoning Sauce is soy and gluten free. Flavor-wise, coconut does not come to mind. It can be used as a Bragg’s or soy sauce substitute, though not quite as salty, and with a touch of sweetness. If your not avoiding soy Braggs Amino Acids - is a non fermented liquid protein concentrate made from non-gmo soybeans and water (like soy sauce). No table salt is added. It has 16 essential amino acids and is a good sub for Tamari, Worcestershire and Soy Sauces. It adds a umami flavor, savory taste to the vegan taco meat.
- Cauliflower instead of rice - we love rice as much as the next person but cauliflower plus pecans turn what could be a guilty pleasure into just a pleasure, very corny but true. Store bought cauliflower rice is a time saver. You can also make our Chipotle copycat cauliflower rice which goes great with this bowl or perfect as a side.
Can I Make Ahead, Freeze & Substitutes
Unfortunately we are allergic to walnuts but we’ve seen a number of vegan meat substitutes using walnuts like this Pinch of Yum sauce Walnut Chorizo Taco recipe. We wouldn’t recommend cashews and peanuts because of the strong flavors associated with those nuts. You can make a day ahead the mixture keeps well in the refrigerator in a lidded container. We frozen for up to two weeks without any issues to the flavor and texture but honestly good luck with having any left over to freeze.
More Vegan Gluten-Free Lunch Recipes
How To Make The Pecan Meat Taco With Easy Cauliflower Cilantro Lime Rice
Pecan Taco Bowl
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- Food Processor
Pecan Taco “Meat” Substitute
- 1 cup Pecans
- 1 ½ tablespoons Liquid Amino Acids
- 1 cup Water
- ¼ Bell Pepper - small
- ¼ Onion - small
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Taco Seasoning
Easy Version Chipotle Copycat With Store Bought Cauliflower Rice
- 1 bag Cauliflower rice - Recipe for Homemade Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Riced
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro - finely chopped
Taco Bowl Topping
- ½ cup Vegan cheese
- 1 can Black beans
- ½ cup Blackened corn
- ½ cup Cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Vegan sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Lime slices
Chipotle Copycat Cauliflower Rice
- In large sauce pan add 1 tablespoons olive oil and bag of riced cauliflower. Stir in the juice of 1 lime (2 tablespoons), 2 tablespoons cilantro, and ½ teaspoon salt + pepper to taste sauté 5 minutes
- In medium bowl add pecan, water and amino acid, soak for ⅔ hours until tender
- Drain pecans and set aside
Prepare Pecan Taco Mixture
- Place in food processor add pecan, taco seasoning, onions, peppers and garlic clove.
- Pulse until mixture is consistent of ground meat. Set aside
- Assemble Pecan Taco Bowls
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
What questions do you have? Leave us your questions/comments below or on Instagram at #thevgnway.
We hope you love these homemade easy to make gluten free vegan pecan taco bowls as much as we do. If you make them please be sure to leave a comment & a rating so we know how you liked them.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way