This copycat cilantro lime cauliflower rice is packed with tangy, fresh and roasted flavor. This plant based recipe is healthy and filling. Perfect for a vegan, low carb, Keto or AIP vegan diet. With just 3 ingredients and a little chopping this recipe is a great side for dinner, a summer barbecue or your next taco bowl.
Roasted riced cauliflower is a great replacement for rice when you want to eat a gluten-free, low-carb, grain-free or keto-friendly side dish.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. However you can find important tips/tricks in the post like how to store, reheat and substitutes.
Cauliflower - has a neutral flavor and a tender texture after roasting that makes it a great gluten-free option and a great low carb substitute for rice. 1 cup of cauliflower has 2g of protein.
Cilantro - is a green, leafy herb that resembles parsley. The cilantro herbs are the leaves of the same plant that we get coriander seeds from. Cilantro has a fresh parsley like flavor but more intense.
Lime - adds a bit of tartness and brightness to the rice.
How To Make This Copycat Chipotle Cauliflower Rice
Begin by preparing the cauliflower for roasting by rinsing and slicing cauliflower.
Methods For Roasting Cauliflower
Oven roasted on sheet pan - preheat oven to 475 degrees. Place prepared cauliflower on sheet pan and place in oven. Roast in oven for 60 minutes or until tender (toothpick inserts easily into cauliflower stalk)
Roast in air fryer - place on air fryer rack. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes on 400 degrees until golden brown and tender. We try to use 1 ½ inch slices depending on the size of the cauliflower. Our air fryer is not round. We have a Cuisinart Convection Toaster Oven Air Fryer which is like a little mini oven but cooks faster and we feel like we can get a lot more food on the rack
Oven roasted on cast iron grill pan - spray lid and pan with spray oil. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place prepared cauliflower on cast iron grill pan and place in oven. Roast in oven for 25 minutes or until tender (toothpick inserts easily into cauliflower stalk). With the lid on this method is a little more steaming than roasting which produces a tender cauliflower with less of the golden brown caramelized edges.
How To Rice Roasted Cauliflower
There are three methods we have used to rice the cauliflower
- Chopping By Hand - this is our preferred method. Since the cauliflower has been roasted to bring out the sweet smokey flavor and it is softer. By hand is a little more work but gives you better control on size and texture of your riced cauliflower.
- Food Processor - You only need a few pulses to get the job done. Being extremely careful to not over processed and end up with yummy tasting cauliflower paste.
- Store Bought - You can also buy already prepared riced Cauliflower from places like Trader Joes
How To Store, Freeze and Reheat
Store the cauliflower rice in a container with an airtight lid. The rice will last in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. You can also freeze for a month. When ready to eat, just let it thaw then saute until hot and fluffy.
You can make this cilantro lime cauliflower rice with frozen cauliflower.
This is a great option if your running short on time. The only difference is you will not get that nice golden color and roasted flavor from frozen cauliflower.
We like to use the Trader Joe’s Frozen Cauliflower Rice in a pinch.
Serve This Cauliflower Rice With:
Easy Chipotle Cauliflower Rice (Low Carb , Keto-Friendly)
- Large Chef’s Knife
- Or Food Processor
- 2 Whole cauliflower -equals about 3 ½ pounds
- ½ cup Cilantro - chopped
- 6 tablespoons Lime - 1 to 2 limes depending on size
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees
- Cut lime in half and juice set lime juice aside.
Prepare Cauliflower For Roasting
- Rinse heads of cauliflower. Carefully remove outer leaves and trim bottom of stem. Be careful not to remove to much of stem so cauliflower doesn’t fall apart.
- Using a large knife cut the cauliflower in half lengthwise through center
- Cut 1 ½ inch thick pieces and place on parchment lined cooking sheet or foil lined air fryer tray
Sheet Pan Roasting Cauliflower
- Place cauliflower in over and cook for 60 minutes or until its golden color and toothpick inserts in stalk easily.
Air Fryer Roasting Cauliflower
- Place on foil lined air fryer rack. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes on 400 degrees until golden brown and tender depending on size of cauliflower. We aim to cut our slices about 1 inch thick. We have a Cuisinart Convection Toaster Oven Air Fryer which is like a little mini oven and not round. We feel like we can get a lot more food on the rack.
How To Rice Roasted Cauliflower
Chopping By Hand
- Place slices on cutting board and chopping into small rice like pieces.
- Place in bowl and add cilantro and lime juice.
- After roasting. Place florets in food processor container (you may need to do in batches) Use the grater attachment on your food processor.
- Place in bowl and add cilantro and lime juice. Stir to mix.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy cilantro lime cauliflower rice and add more chopped cilantro as garnish if you like.
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
PIN this Chipotle Copycat Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice to make later!
What questions do you have? Leave us your questions/comments below or on Instagram at #thevgnway.
If you give this vegan gluten-free Chipotle Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram at #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way
pleasantly surprised I finally have my Chipotle fix. Was not disappointed! Super easy and delicious – just like Chipotle!