These high protein waffles; made from chickpea flour, are everything you want and need in a vegan gluten-free waffle. These homemade waffles are simple to make. Can be made right away or frozen for later. Moist, fluffy and delicious
To be completely honest we're serious carboholics. We've struggled with making a lot of breakfast recipes because of that. Pancakes, waffles, biscuits, had all been our breakfast of choice. But carbs aren't a great way to start your day. And when you cut out meat and wheat, your options appear to get very limited.
Shad has been really pushing me to get into some savory, non-traditional items for breakfast. We had been playing around with chickpea flour, making tofu, adding it to our cornbread. Then it hit us. "Let's incorporate it into our waffle mix." A win-win. Vegan, gluten-free, and high protein for breakfast.
Why these sweet Chickpea waffles are the best:
- They are high in protein, thanks to chickpea flour
- Low on carbs
- They're Egg-free
- Chickpea Flour - is a bean flour and has the nutty flavor and density of that; so we offset it by mixing in a cup for cup blend. For those with Celiac disease (Wheat allergies or intolerances of even a trace amount of gluten can cause severe discomfort), the best solution is to always buy flours that are certified gluten-free by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization, a branch of the Gluten Intolerance Group.
- All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
Can Waffles Be Gluten-free And Egg-free?
- Eggs are normally in waffles to make them fluffy. With waffles made from wheat you have to be careful to not over-mix the batter so the waffles don't become tough, hence adding eggs to incorporate air and have a fluffy waffle. Gluten-free waffles have an advantage, no wheat, so no overworking. They're also a lot of egg substitutes that get the job done like Bob's Red Mill, flax eggs or applesauce depending on your baking needs.
- With so many flour options it's very easy to make gluten-free bread items like pancakes and waffles now. There are a lot of cup for cup replacers like King Arthur, Namaste and Bob's Red Mill to name a few. Or you can go the mix your own blend route. We do a combination of both and since we wanted more protein we reached for a high protein flour like chickpea.
Can I Make In Advance & Freeze?
Yes, these waffles are perfect for making in advance and freezing for later. We’ve frozen up to a month or two in advance. To reheat simple remove from freeze and microwave for a few minutes.
Belgium Waffler Maker - Belgian waffles are thicker and often larger than regular waffles because they are made with waffle irons with deeper grids. They are thicker on the outside. A traditional waffle is usually thinner and denser. Belgian waffles have deep pockets, whereas regular waffles have smaller pockets. We think you use less maple syrup because of these deeper pockets you don’t lose a lot of syrup to your plate.
More Delicious Gluten-free Vegan Breakfast Recipes
Easy To Make Homemade Vegan Protein Gluten-free Waffles
- Waffle Maker - Preferably Belgian
- 1¼ cup Chickpea flour
- ¾ cup gluten-free all purpose flour - we like using Better Batter brand
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoons Salt
- 1½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons Maple syrup
- 1 vegan egg - we like Bob's Red Mill
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons Vanilla
- Combine your dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate containers, making sure to mix each ingredient set well before mixing them together
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together adding a little extra liquid if necessary
- Batter should be pour-able but not too thick
- Oil waffle maker and warm
- Pour mix into waffle maker making sure to turn occasionally to prevent the batter from sticking to the waffle maker
- Check waffles occasionally during rotation because the chickpea can cook faster than regular waffles
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
If you give this gluten free vegan waffle recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
And be sure to check out more of our plant-based gluten-free breakfast recipes on www.thevgnway.com
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way