A perfect pick me up for an afternoon or post workout snack. Rich in antioxidants and high in fiber. This pink dragon fruit smoothie recipe is simple to make, delicious, vegan, dairy and gluten-free.
What Does Dragonfruit Taste Like?
Dragon fruit - If you haven’t tried dragon fruit yet, you are missing out (Dragonfruit also known as pitaya, is the fruit of cactus plant). The flavor is a cross between a kiwi and watermelon.
Find them in the produce section along with other tropical fruits like mangos, pineapples and papaya and also in the freezer section of the grocery store.
Fresh Or Frozen Dragonfruit
Fresh Pink Dragonfruit is fantastic; however living in the south it can be difficult to find in season. When it’s at its peak flavor and ripeness. So we prefer to use frozen Dragonfruit. We like the Pitaya Plant Power smoothie packs, 4 individual pureed packets of organic dragonfruit pulp with seeds sold at Sprouts and Whole Foods grocery stores.
- Dragonfruit (also known as pitaya) - is the fruit of a cactus plant. Dragonfruit is native to Central and South America. Dragonfruit are rich in antioxidants. It’s naturally fat-free and high in fiber. It contains prebiotics, which are foods that feed the healthy bacteria called probiotics in your gut.
- Plant-Based Milk - Use almond milk or oat milk for an extra creamy smoothie.
Creamy Vegan Tropical Dragon Fruit Smoothie With Oat Milk(Pitaya)
- 1 package Frozen Dragon Fruit - 1/2 Fresh Dragon Fruit (3.5oz)
- 1 large Banana about 9 ounces
- 1/2 cup Plant-Based Milk - We like Almond or Oat Milk
- 1/4 cup Rolled oats
- 2/3 Pitted Dates - depending on the sweetness of the banana. Adjust accordingly.
- 1 teaspoon Organic Super greens Powder (optional) - we like Amazing Grass brand
- In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Divide between 2 cups.
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
If you give this vegan gluten-free Tropical Dragonfruit Smoothie a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram at #thevgnway
And be sure to check out more of our quick and easy plant-based recipes on www.thevgnway.com
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way