These tasty homemade tofu meatballs are the perfect low maintenance meal. Big on taste but low in prep time. A delicious, quick and simple meatless Monday, vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free dinner your family will love
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. However you can find important tips/tricks in the post like how to store, reheat and substitutes
Meatballs are a classic recipe and for good reason. Simple to make and easy to make a big batch now or for later; and great for feeding a large hungry family.
We made them tasty but not overpowering. You can have them with classics like meatballs in tomato (marinara) sauce over gluten-free pasta, Swedish meatballs, over polenta (a great gluten-free pasta alternative) or a mean meatball sub.
All the ingredients listed are designed to either flavor or hold them together. Of course our’s are made without wheat. Our binder are gluten-free breadcrumbs and Just Egg.
Ingredients For Tofu Meatballs
- Tofu - is high in protein and has a neutral flavor making it a perfect protein substitute.
- Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs - our brand of choice is Kikkoman Gluten-Free Panko Breadcrumbs. We don’t normally name brands but in our opinion these are the best we’ve found by far.
- Nutritional yeast - is deactivated yeast. It is a good source of some B-complex vitamins. The yeast has a very unique umani flavor. Its flavor can remind you of a broth-like taste, nutty, meaty, parmesan, soy sauce or and kelp flavor. Nutritional Yeast is also high in protein and low in fat. 2 tablespoons contains about 8 grams of protein and 1 gram or less of fat.
- Just Egg - egg replacer
- Tamari sauce - its a great wheat-free less salty alternative to soy sauce
Instructions For Baked Tofu Meatballs
Combine tofu, breadcrumbs, JUST Egg, and spices into food processor and mix thoroughly into well blended tofu mixture.
Prep baking sheet. Heat oven to 375°F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Form into evenly sized balls so they cook evenly. We like to use a tablespoon to scoop and form our meatballs. You could also use a kitchen scale or a cookie scoop.
Baked for 10 minutes at 375°F; flip and bake for another 15 minutes until firm.
Good Binder For Vegan & Gluten-Free Meatballs?
Since this recipe is vegan and gluten-free the traditional binder; of eggs, ricotta cheese, bread crumbs and mayo, are a no go. But no worries you can make great tasting meatballs without any of these items.
Just Egg is a mung bean egg replacer and we use it as a binder in this recipe
Even without eggs these Meatballs are moist, flavorful and tender
How To Store Tofu Meatballs
You can even freeze them in a tight sealed ziplock bag or container and thaw them out when you’re in need. They will last for up to 3 months.
The Tofu balls will also last in the fridge, in a tightly sealed container for a week.
More Vegan & Gluten-Free Dinner Recipes
Vegan & Gluten-Free Tofu Meatballs
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 2 Packages Tofu -drained Firm or Extra Firm
- 1 ½ cups Gluten-free Breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Plant-based Milk
- ½ cup Vegan Parmesan cheese
- 6 Tablespoons Just Egg
- 3 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 3 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
- 3 Tablespoons Tamari sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Oregano
- Press and drain tofu about 20 minutes and then place in mixing bowl
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Place tofu in food processor. Add remaining ingredients; mix well in food processor until thoroughly combined.
- Shape into balls 30 - 1 Tablespoon scoops
- Place on parchment lined or silpat and oiled baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degree for 10 minutes and then flip and bake for 15 more minutes until firm
- Serve with tomato sauce sauce over gluten-free pasta, a great vegan sub or perfect with BBQ sauce over mashed potatoes
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
PIN! These Easy Baked Tofu Meatballs In Tomato Sauce To Make Later!
Leave us your questions/comments below or on Instagram at #thevgnway.
If you give this gluten free tofu meatballs recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram at #thevgnway.