This easy and quick to make delicious vegan pulled “pork” styled sandwich features shredded jackfruit simmered in a sweet and smoky barbecue sauce.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. However you can find important tips/tricks in the post.
Jump to text
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Requires just a few ingredients!
- Quick & easy to make
- Sure to be a hit at your next BBQ
- Uses easy to find canned Jackfruit
What Is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is a very versatile fruit. Ripe jackfruit has spiky green skin and sweet flesh with a flavor similar to a honeydew meets mango and banana. For bbq jackfruit you use the young unripe form which has a mild flavor and soaks up flavor well, has a meaty texture, and is full of sustaining fiber and nutrients like B6, vitamin C and potassium and some protein.
Is Jackfruit Gluten-Free?
Most definitely yes, jackfruit is gluten-free. In its young state it's often preserved in brine (a salt and water solution). However, be careful of prepackaged and/or frozen jackfruit with flavoring which can contain gluten.
Canned Jackfruit - Young green jackfruit in brine NOT in syrup or to be confused with ripened jackfruit, which would be too sweet. We use the Trader Joe’s brand canned fruit.
A vegan bottled BBQ sauce - We like the Sweet Baby Ray's which is vegan and gluten-free but always check your labels as formulas change
See recipe card for quantities.
If You Can't Find Canned Jackfruit
Canned jackfruit can be purchased from stores like Trader Joe’s, Sprouts Market or you can order online via Amazon. If you can’t find canned jackfruit you could substitute trumpet mushrooms by shredding.
However, we do not recommend using fresh jackfruit. Fresh ripe Jackfruit is sweet and is best enjoyed just eaten just like a ripe mango or berries.
1.Rinse, drain and if you see any seeds remove them. Place jackfruit in bowl and set aside.
2.Place jackfruit in heated large skillet over medium low heat with oil. As it cooks and gets tender, pull apart with a fork. Cook for about 30 minutes until tender.
3. Add BBQ sauce, stir and reduce heat to low and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes. Add water if mixture gets to thick.
4.Place generous portions of bbq jackfruit on bun. Add your favorite toppings; pickles, coleslaw or even lettuce.
Storage & Reheating
To Store. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
To Reheat. Reheat in the microwave or over low heat in pan.
To Freeze. Freeze leftovers in airtight container. Thaw overnight in fridge until ready to serve.
BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich
- 1 20 ounce can Young green jackfruit in brine NOT in syrup or to be confused with ripened jackfruit, which would be too sweet. We use the Trader Joe’s brand.
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce (ensure it’s vegan and gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil - to sauté jackfruit in
- 4 Gluten-free Hamburger buns
- Rinse, drain and if you see any seeds remove them. Place jackfruit in bowl and set aside.1 20 ounce can Young green jackfruit in brine
- Place jackfruit in heated large skillet over medium low heat with oil. As it cooks and gets tender, pull apart with a fork. Cook for about 30 minutes until tender.1 tablespoon Olive oil, 1 20 ounce can Young green jackfruit in brine
- Add BBQ sauce, stir and reduce heat to low and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes. Add water if mixture gets to thick.3/4 cup BBQ sauce (ensure it’s vegan and gluten-free)
- Place generous portions of bbq jackfruit on bun. Add your favorite toppings; pickles, coleslaw or even lettuce.4 Gluten-free Hamburger buns
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
Be sure to check out more of our jackfruit dinner recipes on www.thevgnway.com
If you give this vegan gluten-free fried jackfruit recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way