Say hello to your new favorite recipe, Fried Jackfruit “Chicken” nuggets.Jump to Recipe
What is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is a species of tree in the fig, mulberry, and breadfruit family. When eaten ripe and raw, the taste of jackfruit is sweet and similar to pineapple, melon, and banana.
When it’s unripe, it has more of a neutral flavor. It is increasingly being used as a plant-based meat alternative because of the young, unripe fruits ability to soak up flavor well and “meat-like” texture when cooked.
When cooked jackfruit takes on the appearance and texture of pulled meat. Use it in any dish calling for braised or pulled meat in preparation of anything from bowls, barbecue nachos and jackfruit Chick’n Nuggets.
Is Jackfruit Gluten-free?
Most definitely yes, jackfruit is gluten-free in its young state it’s often preserved in brine (a salt and water solution). However, be careful of prepackaged and/or frozen jackfruit with flavoring which can contain gluten.
How To Buy Canned Jackfruit
We like to use Trader Joe’s canned Green Jackfruit in Brine but in a pinch Amazon sells a brand called Native Forest 14 oz can. We say in a pinch because one can contains 840g of sodium as compared to Trader Joe’s 300g of sodium per can. You also want to make sure that you are careful with frozen varieties, you do not want to buy the ripen and sweet version of Jackfruit which can also come in syrup. Ripe Jackfruit is sweet and delicious but not a great substitution in meat replacement dishes
How To Make Jackfruit Fried Chicken (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- deep fryer or air fryer
- 2 20 oz Green Jackfruit in brine rinsed and drained (We use the Trader Joe’s brand)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Vegetable oil or any oil suitable for frying at high temperature
Vegan Buttermilk Mixture
- 1 cup Almond milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Apple Cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 teaspoon hot sauce optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika, Salt, Onion, Thyme and Garlic powder each
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili powder
- Drain jackfruit and set aside
- Prepare buttermilk bath. Mix almond milk, apple cider vinegar and hot sauce (optional). Set aside for 10 minutes to form buttermilk while you prepare coating.
- Mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder, seasonings and spice in bowl.
- Preheat oil on medium high heat. Now add jackfruit to buttermilk mixture and let soak for 20 minutes. In a large resealable plastic zip lock bag add flour mixture and jackfruit pieces, their will be buttermilk leave in bottom of bowl. Shake until evenly coated.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Test with a pinch of flour and if it sizzles, its ready.
- Add nuggets in small batches to oil being careful not to overcrowd pan. (Overcrowding can lend to streaming instead of frying for a crispy crust). Turn occasionally, Cook until golden brown about 5 minutes. Keep the temperature of the oil up as you continue frying batches.
- Remove nuggets with strainer and place on paper towel to drain excess oil.
More Jackfruit recipes:
Be sure to check out more of our plant-based jack fruit recipes.
What questions do you have? Leave us your questions/comments below or on Instagram at #thevgnway.
If you give this gluten free vegan recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram at #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way