Try this quick and simple vegan and gluten-free BBQ Jackfruit nachos recipe. The fruit is a species of tree in the fig, mulberry, and breadfruit family. It is grown in parts of India, southeast Asia, the East Indies, the Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and also grows in Africa.
Ripe jackfruit is naturally sweet, with subtle flavoring.
The young (unripe) fruit is gaining popularity as a plant base meat substitute because of its meat-like texture and ability to soak up flavors well. Its a great substitute for chicken and pork.
First we started with lightly sauteing the pineapple, red onion and peppers to bring out the sweetness. Combining the bbq jackfruit and the aromatics really reminded us of the goodness of a savory and hearty vegan Shish kebab. Lastly adding the sweet potato nacho chips added another layer to the sweet and salty experience of the dish. Happy to have a quick and easy non-soy nacho option for our friends with allergies.
Hawaiian BBQ Jackfruit With Sweet Potato Nachos
- 2 cans Young Jackfruit 20 oz cans from Trader Joe's
- 1 cup Fresh Diced Pineapple or 1 can diced pineapple in 100% juice
- ½ medium Red Onion Red Onion
- ½ medium Red Bell Pepper
- ½ medium Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 cup Baby Spinach
- 1 cup Barbecue sauce to taste
- 1 bag Sweet Potato chips We enjoy the Late July brand
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Drain and transfer two 20.oz cans of jackfruit into a bowl. Take out the jackfruit seed and shredding the fruit
- Place an oiled pan on medium heat and place the shredded jackfruit into it
- While the jackfruit cooks, dice the onion, yellow and red pepper
- Stir the jackfruit allowing it to brown slightly, reduce heat & cover to steam until tender
- Chop the pineapple into smalls bite-sized cubes, set aside
- Once jackfruit is tender, stir in barbecue sauce until jackfruit is coated thoroughly
- Reduce heat to low and let ingredients simmer for 5 minutes
- Stir in pineapple chunks, onions and peppers
- Place sweet potato chips on a plate and top with chopped spinach
- Top with pineapple jackfruit and serve
If you give this gluten-free vegan recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way