We’re always looking for quick and easy recipes to make that are flavorful and filling and these vegan shrimp tacos fill the bill and will not disappoint.
Tacos are such as easy and versatile food item; especially in the middle of the week when leftovers are abundant to make a number of variations on the classic. Most days tofu is our filling of choice but for our first taco recipe, we wanted to add a different vegan twist by adding Vegan King Prawn shrimp as the centerpiece.
What Are Vegan Shrimp Made From?
What is vegan shrimp, you ask? The main ingredient in this vegan shrimp is Konjac (pronounced kon-jack) with the addition of some starches, spices and paprika for color. Konjac is the shortened name of an East Asian root vegetable that produces an edible tuber. Other common names for it are devils tongue, voodoo lily and elephant yam. But don’t let the nicknames intimidate you from trying it. We purchased this shrimp substitute product by the brand Vegan King Prawn and we really like it. The texture and the taste of it are honestly very shrimp-like. So, say hello to all your favorite shrimp dishes and make this a freezer staple you always have on hand when that craving hits.
VEGAN SHRIMP TACOS
- 1 package Vegan King Prawn
- 1 package Corn tortillas – we use Mission, Street Tacos – Mini Corn Tortillas
- 1 bag Coleslaw mix
- 1 cup Neutral oil – such as EVOO or canola for frying
- 1 Lime
- 1¼ cup Gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon Onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- ¾ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Vegan egg – we use Bob’s Red Mill replacer
- 1 cup Plant based milk – we use unsweetened almond milk
- 1½ teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
Vegan Mayo Sriracha
- ½ cup Vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- ¼ cup ketchup
- In a container with a lid combine the ingredients for the buttermilk
- Add vegan shrimp to buttermilk mix and let it sit for 10 minutes
- Combine the ingredients for the breading
- In a small pan heat oil on medium heat
- One by one take vegan shrimp from the buttermilk and add them to the breading, coating them completely, then add them to the heated oil.
- Fry vegan shrimp until crispy and golden brown about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove and place on a paper toweled plate to drain excess oil. Prepare vegan Sriracha mayo.
- Add shrimp, coleslaw mix to tortillas, topping them with vegan mayo sriracha.
- Add a squeeze of lime
If you give this vegan shrimp tacos recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram at #thevgnway
And be sure to check out more of our quick and easy plant-based recipes on www.thevgnway.com
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way