Warm, delicious and comforting; simple creamy vegan gluten-free mushroom stroganoff. As far as comfort foods go; creamy, noodley and warm is the way to go and also quick and easy. This stroganoff recipe is really simple to make, has very few ingredients and is absolutely filling. The mushrooms add a nice hearty umami that perfectly blends and compliments the creamy plant milk sauce touched lightly with thyme. Since the first time we created this recipe, we’ve tried a few different plant based milks to make the sauce. It seems to us that unsweetened almond milk is the best for flavor and while it has a more noticeable flavor, unsweetened oat milk creates the creamiest sauce.
On a side note; we have actually started adding Gardein brand Meatless Meatballs chopped in quarters, to our recipe. They are pre-flavored, but they add more to the recipe’s taste and texture.
Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- 1 9 oz Box of gluten-free pasta
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Non-dairy milk We prefer almond or oat milk
- 1/4 cup All Purpose gluten free
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Dried thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 1/4 cup White Onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Red Onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 1 cup Portabella Mushroom
- 1/2 cup Plant Based meatballs Optional
- In a medium bowl, mix together vegetable broth, salt and pepper, non-dairy milk, flour and thyme
- Heat a large skillet, add butter and let melt.
- Add onions and garlic and saute until onions begin to become translucent.
- Add mushrooms and stir (add plant based meatballs optional)
- Prepare a large pot of water and bring it to boil, cooking the pasta.
- Reduce heat on skillet adding the broth/milk mix. Cooking and stirring until it begins to thicken.
- Combine sauce and pasta mixing well
For dessert, why not try our no cook, freezer almond butter fudge.
Our go-to gluten-free penne is by the brand Barilla.
If you give this vegan gluten-free mushroom stroganoff recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way