The Easiest Vegan & Gluten-free Black Bean Burgers Ever
Whip up these vegan black bean patties in under 15 minutes. Quick to make and you probably already have all the ingredients in the pantry. This protein pack black bean burger recipe is filling, satisfying and your new go to recipe.⠀
Being vegan and gluten-free can bring about a lot of odd challenges. One is finding vegan and gluten-free black bean burgers. Yes, there are tons of black bean and plant based patties in the frozen food aisle of the grocery store. However, a lot of them have some from of wheat in them as a binder, preserve or filler. And prepackaged products are always more expensive; definitely a time saver, but more costly.
Oddly enough before being both plant-based and gluten-free. One of our go-to weekend dinners was black bean burgers on a onion roll with a giant dollop of hummus and roasted red peppers.
The first step in re-creating that easy quick weeknight meal. This gluten-free patty has great flavor, texture and super cheap.
These Homemade Black Bean Burgers Are:
- Packed with protein
- Cheap to make
- Great for meal prepping
Quick and Easy Gluten-free and Vegan Black Bean Patties
- 1 15.5 oz can Black beans
- ⅔ cup Oatmeal
- 2 Vegan eggs
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Vegan mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon Hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Hemp Seed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil -for cooking
- 4 Slices Vegan cheese - optional
- 1 Teaspoon tomato jam - optional
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Drain the beans and spread them out on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- In large bowl add remaining ingredients - hemp seeds, vegan eggs, diced onions, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, vegan Worcestershire, vegan mayo, and hot sauce
- Once the beans are out of the oven, add to above mixture. Use hands to mix all ingredients together breaking up black beans and oatmeal
- Once everything is incorporated, leaving mixture a little chunky. Shape into 4 patties.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high. Cook the first side for about 4 minutes, or until the bottom is browned and has formed a nice crust.
- Flip the patties over, lay a slice of vegan cheese on top (optional, though highly recommended) and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Remove from the skillet and rest on a towel-lined plate to blot any excess oil.
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
Try our gluten-free free vidalia onion rings as the perfect side.
Avoid mushy black bean patties: By partially drying out the black beans. Spread out the black beans onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes. This prevents the black bean burgers from tasting like mush and becoming a mushy burger.
Meal Prepping: You can also make the burgers ahead of time and freeze, reheating directly from frozen in the skillet.
Freezing Instructions: Cooked or uncooked black bean burgers freeze for up to 3 to 4 months. Stack between parchment paper in a freezer ziplock bag.
Can bake to prepare: Place patties on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 375°F (191°C) for 10 minutes on each side, 20 minutes total.
We Modified from a food52.com recipe
What questions do you have? Leave us your questions/comments below or on Instagram at #thevgnway.
If you give this vegan gluten free black bean burgers recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram at #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way