The Easiest Vegan & Gluten-free Black Bean Burgers Ever
Being vegan and gluten-free can bring about a lot of odd challenges. One is finding vegan and gluten-free black bean burgers. Yes, there are tons of black bean and plant based patties in the frozen food aisle of the grocery store. However, a lot of them have some from of wheat in them as a binder, preserve or filler. And prepackaged products are always more expensive; definitely a time saver, but more costly.
Oddly enough before being both plant-based and gluten-free. One of our go-to weekend dinners was black bean burgers on a onion roll with a giant dollop of hummus and roasted red peppers.
This delicious recipe in the first step in re-creating that easy quick weeknight meal. This gluten-free patty has great flavor, texture and super cheap.
These Homemade Black Bean Burgers Are:
- Packed with protein
- Cheap to make
- Great for meal prepping
Quick and Easy Gluten-free and Vegan Black Bean Patties
- 1 15.5 oz Can black beans
- 2/3 cup Oatmeal
- 2 Vegan eggs
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Hemp Seed
- 1/2 Red Onion - diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil for cooking
- 4 Slices Vegan cheese - optional
- 1 Teaspoon tomato jam - optional
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Drain the beans and spread them out on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- In large bowl add remaining ingredients - hemp seeds, vegan eggs, diced onions, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, vegan Worcestershire, vegan mayo, and hot sauce
- Once the beans are out of the oven, add to above mixture. Use hands to mix all ingredients together breaking up black beans and oatmeal
- Once everything is incorporated, leaving mixture a little chunky. Shape into 4 patties.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high. Cook the first side for about 4 minutes, or until the bottom is browned and has formed a nice crust.
- Flip the patties over, lay a slice of vegan cheese on top (optional, though highly recommended) and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Remove from the skillet and rest on a towel-lined plate to blot any excess oil.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.
Try our gluten-free free vidalia onion rings as the perfect side.
Avoid mushy black bean patties: By partially drying out the black beans. Spread out the black beans onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes. This prevents the black bean burgers from tasting like mush and becoming a mushy burger.
Meal Prepping: You can also make the burgers ahead of time and freeze, reheating directly from frozen in the skillet.
Freezing Instructions: Cooked or uncooked black bean burgers freeze for up to 3 to 4 months. Stack between parchment paper in a freezer ziplock bag.
Can bake to prepare: Place patties on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 375°F (191°C) for 10 minutes on each side, 20 minutes total.
We Modified from a food52.com recipe
What questions do you have? Leave us your questions/comments below or on Instagram at #thevgnway.
If you give this vegan gluten free black bean burgers recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram at #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way