This is the perfect vegan southern style potato salad with a great egg substitute. It's a creamy, old fashioned southern recipe that will be perfect for your next, barbecue, cookout, potluck or family reunion!
This classic soul food vegan potato salad with mustard and vegan eggs is the best you'll ever have.
It's the perfect side dish for any cookout whether it be July 4th, family gatherings, or your next family reunion.
A popular side dish at cookouts, barbecues and family reunions. It's a great make-ahead side dish too. We've used a new vegan hard boiled egg substitute to replace traditional eggs. If you can't find Wunderegg; tofu can be used as an egg substitute to make this classic vegan potato salad without eggs.
Why You’ll Love This No Egg Vegan Potato Salad.
- It can be made ahead and is even better the next day.
- Potato salad goes with all your favorite summer barbecue dishes: tofu fried chicken, quick baked beans and lemon pepper cauliflower wings.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes - Are a medium-starch all -purpose potato. They have a creamy texture and are good at holding their shape. You can substitute with a low-starch potato like; Red potatoes, that are excellent at holding there shape. Russet/Idaho are a last choice. Be careful since they don't hold their shape very well. To be on the safe side, cut Russets a little bigger then boil.
- Vegan Mayonnaise
- Sweet Pickle Relish
- Apple Cider Vinegar - adds little tanginess. Can substitute with
- Dijon Mustard - for tangy flavor
- Egg Substitutes - WunderEggs or Tofu. Read more below.
- Celery & Celery Seeds - bright aromatic flavor and crunch.
- Nutritional Yeast - favor if using tofu.
- Turmeric - for color if using tofu egg replacer.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Vegan Egg Substitute for Potato Salad
WunderEggs - a convenient boiled egg replacer; read about WunderEgg vegan boiled egg. Available at Whole Foods Market.
Tofu - tofu is a great egg substitute in recipes. The texture is very similar to that of egg whites. Tofu is a great sponge to season with eggy flavor. It's also a great way to add a protein boost. Simply crumble plain tofu in the potato salad mixture.
Prepare the Potatoes
Step 1: Place cubed potatoes in a large pot and fill with water 1" above the potatoes
and add 2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook
potatoes until fork tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain in colander and let
Prepare the Eggs
Step 2: Prepare vegan egg substitute.
If using Wunderegg egg substitute; simply chop whites and yolks and set aside.
If using tofu, press tofu out either using a tofu press for twenty minutes. If you do not have one. Wrap tofu in a few paper towels. Place a plate on top and then a heavy item or pan. Let the tofu press for about 20 minutes.
Once the tofu is pressed, finely dice into small bite size pieces.
Assemble The Potato Salad
Step 3: Meanwhile, in a bowl stir together vegan mayonnaise, pickle relish, vinegar,
mustard, maple syrup, celery seed, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, and
half of the paprika. Pour mixture over potatoes and toss to coat. Add
egg substitute, celery, and red onions and toss to coat.
Step 4: Transfer to a large serving bowl or platter and garnish with chopped chives
and remaining paprika. Serve cold.
- Large Pot for boiling the potatoes
- Storage. Cool before refrigerating. Store in airtight container. Store in refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Prepare In Advance. Can be prepared a day in advance.
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below & if you REALLY like it, consider a comment down below. Thanks!
Vegan Potato Salad
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 2-½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes peeled, and cut into 1" pieces
- ¼ teaspoon paprika divided
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ cup finely diced celery
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ⅓ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2-½ teaspoons salt divided
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup 4 WunderEggs halves (or medium-firm tofu - finely diced)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- remaining Smoked Paprika or Pimiento (optional) - for garnish
- Place cubed potatoes in a large pot and fill with water 1" above the potatoes and add 2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook potatoes until fork tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain in colander and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl stir together vegan mayonnaise, pickle relish, vinegar,mustard, maple syrup, celery seed, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, and half of the paprika. Pour mixture over potatoes and toss to coat. Add chopped tofu, celery, and red onions and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a large serving bowl or platter and garnish with chopped chives and remaining paprika. Serve warm or cold.ok
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way