When life gives you lemons.... make the yummiest, lemoniest, lemon bars ever! These lip smacking tangy vegan gluten-free bars on a buttery shortbread crust are the perfect combination of citrusy, tart & sweet.
Recipe adapted slightly from Nora Cooks website
Great Vegan Summer Desserts
How To Make Vegan Gluten-Free Lemon Bars
- ½ cup dairy-free butter melted
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all purpose gluten-free flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup lemon juice about 4 large lemon
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Zest
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cups oat milk
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line an 8 by 8 inch pan with parchment paper, leaving a little overhang for easy removal.
Making the crust
- In a medium bowl, add and mix together the melted vegan butter, sugar and salt. Add the flour and stir until combined. The dough will be thick. Press into pan, evenly and firmly. Bake for 16-18 minutes until the edges are very lightly browned. Set aside.
Make the filling
- In a medium saucepan, add the lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, oat milk, cornstarch and turmeric for color. Whisk well to dissolve the cornstarch. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture thickens.
- Spread the filling over the crust evenly. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. Transfer to the refrigerator for an additional 1-2 hours, or overnight, until set.
- Lift the bars out of the pan with the parchment paper, dust with powdered sugar and cut into squares.
- Leftover bars will keep for up to 1 week in a covered container in the refrigerator. They freeze well, too.
Be sure to check out more of our plant-based desserts.
What questions do you have? Leave us your questions/comments below or on Instagram at #thevgnway.
If you give this gluten free vegan recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag us on Instagram at #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way