It’s perfect with breakfast or as a evening dessert treat. Southern Sweet Potato Bread, a classic old fashioned quick bread loaf with a cinnamon and spice streusel topping. Moist, tender homemade quick bread that’s egg-free, nut-free and vegan.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. However you can find important tips/tricks in the post.
- What Is Quick Bread?
- How To Make Homemade Sweet Potato Quick Bread?
- Substitutions You Can Make
- How To Roast Sweet Potatoes
- Is Your Gluten-Free Bread Done?
- More Vegan Gluten-Free Breakfast Recipes
- Easy Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Quick Bread (Southern Style)
- PIN! This Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Bread Recipe to try later
What Is Quick Bread?
Quick bread doesn’t contain any yeast and uses baking powder and or baking soda as the leavening agent. Some very popular quick breads are Banana, Zucchini or Pumpkin. Quick breads are easy to make.
How To Make Homemade Sweet Potato Quick Bread?
This recipe is quite simple to make. In a bowl mix all your wet ingredients: mashed sweet potato, vegetable oil, water, orange juice, extract. In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients: gluten-free flour, baking soda and baking powder. Whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients until mixture is well incorporated, pour into loaf pan and bake until done.
Sweet Potatoes - Sweet potatoes are a good egg substitute, they offer a natural sweetener, while adding moisture to create a moist texture and are thick enough to act as a binder.
Cinnamon - a sweet woody flavor and its spicy taste is often compared to cloves.
Cardamom - is definitely an underrated spice all-star. A google search yields its flavor as "zesty citrus smoky flavor". You'll find Cardamom in the spice section of your grocery store or you can order it here from Amazon
Orange Juice And Extract - The orange flavour in this orange bread comes from orange extract and orange juice.
Gluten-Free Flour - your gluten-free bread dough should be too wet to knead but thicker than cake or muffin batter for the perfect loaf.
Substitutions You Can Make
- This bread also works great with pumpkin puree or butternut squash puree.
- The orange extract can be replaced with orange zest. Make sure if you go the next zest route that you select oranges without a wax coating.
- Any type of oil: coconut oil, olive oil or vegetable oil.
- You can use any type of plant-based milk: oat milk, almond milk or soy milk
How To Roast Sweet Potatoes
You can roast or even microwave your sweet potatoes:
- Roast – 400° for 40-50 minutes until easily pierced with a fork and able to easily scoop out flesh.
- Microwave – Poke holes in sweet potato, cook in the microwave for 4-8 minutes until tender. Scoop out the flesh and set aside.
This recipe is great if you have leftover baked sweet potatoes. However you can also use canned sweet potato purée if that’s easier.
Is Your Gluten-Free Bread Done?
The best method is to use a thermometer. We have resisted this method for years but it just can’t be avoided in gluten-free baking. Insert an instant thermometer all the way to the bottom of the loaf (not touching the bottom of the pan). The temperature should be approximately 205-210º F when it is done.
More Vegan Gluten-Free Breakfast Recipes
Easy Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Quick Bread (Southern Style)
- Standard Loaf Pan
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- ¾ teaspoon Ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 2 cups Gluten-free flour
- ¾ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons Baking powder
- 3 tablespoons Bob’s Egg Replacer - just dry powder with dry ingredients
- ¾ teaspoon Ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon each Ground Nutmeg, Ginger And Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 ¼ cup Sweet Potato Puree
- 1 ⅓ cups Granulated sugar
- ½ cup Vegetable oil
- ½ cup Orange Juice
- 6 tablespoons Water
- 1 teaspoon Orange Extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a standard loaf pan ( 9x5x3 inches approximately) and set aside.
- Mix ingredients for cinnamon streusel topping and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: sweet potato, oil, water, orange juice, orange extract and sugar until smooth.
- In separate bowl mix dry ingredients: gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, dry egg powder, salt and spices.
- Combine dry ingredients into wet with a hand mixer on low, whisk or by hand. It’s important to do these in increments like ½ cup to incorporate dry ingredients well without lumps.
- Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared loaf pan, smoothing out the top. Sprinkle with sugar mixture
- Bake for approximately 90 minutes until well done. Once a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean take the temperature of your loaf. The temperature should be approximately 205-210º F when it is completely done.
- Remove from the oven and let cool about 30 minutes.
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
PIN! This Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Bread Recipe to try later
Be sure to check out more of our easy and delicious vegan and gluten free breakfast ideas
Did you make this gluten free sweet potato bread. Share a photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag @vgnway to be featured.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way