Looking for an alternative to banana bread, you found it. This vegan and gluten-free bread is hearty, tender and moist. With a zesty citrus and sweet golden crust topping. The orange and cardamom flavors are just the delicious twist your looking for on a Monday morning.
The great thing about this loaf is you can make it on the weekend and have it ready to go for a breakfast on the run, if it last that long. Its great for breakfast but also makes a great dessert with a little vegan whip cream or ice cream too.
Cardamom, is definitely an underrated spice all-star. A google search yields its flavor as "zesty citrus smoky flavor". Taste is so subjective but its flavor is strong and distinctive and it can be used in sweet and savory dishes.
Can you substitute; sure some would say yes, just use cinnamon but we think you'll be doing yourself a disservice. Honestly all the friends and family that we have literally push cardamom on; we've had very few that didn't feel happy introducing this new flavor in their lives. You'll find Cardamom in the spice section of your grocery store or you can order it here from Amazon
You can make this recipe into a loaf or muffins (bake 30 minutes, same temperature) whatever floats your boat.
The other star of this gluten free sweet potato bread are the Sweet Potatoes.
Bananas and apple sauce are a very common egg replacer; but sweet potatoes are great too and their flavor isn't as pronounce as banana's and apples in your final dish. Sweet potatoes are a good egg substitute, they offer a natural sweetener, while adding moisture to create a moist texture and are thick enough to act as a binder.
Vegan Gluten-Free Orange Cardamon Sweet Potato Bread
- 8.5 x 4.5 x 3-Inch Loaf Pan
- 2¼ cups Gluten-free flour
- 1 can Sweet potato puree 15 oz
- ½ cup Vegetable oil
- 1⅔ cups Granulated sugar
- Orange Juiced and Zest
- ¾ Baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons Baking powder
- 3 Vegan eggs
- ¾ teaspoon Ground cardamom
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon each Ground nutmeg, ginger and black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Ground mace
- ¾ teaspoon Ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter loaf or muffin tin and side aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together sweet potato, oil, eggs, orange juice, zest and sugar until smooth. In separate bowl mix baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Add flour to wet ingredients and stir until well-combined. Pour into pan. In a small dish stir sugar and spices together. Sprinkle over top of batter.
- Bake bread for 60 to 65 minutes until a tester poked come out batter-free.
- To store wrap it in a tea towel and put in a paper bag so that the crust doesn’t get soggy.
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
Be sure to check out more of our easy and delicious vegan and gluten free breakfast ideas
Did you make this gluten free sweet potato bread. Share a photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag @vgnway to be featured.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way