We veganized the classic scalloped potato recipe and trust us when we say you won’t miss the dairy. This recipe is easy to make; so creamy and cheesy. Vegan, Dairy and Gluten-free - perfect for a Sunday, Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
The base of this recipe is a vegan cheese sauce made with: cashew, vegetable broth, cornstarch, non dairy milk, and nutritional yeast. Which covers thinly sliced Yukon gold potatoes before being sprinkled with vegan parmesan cheese.
Cashews are a staple in vegan and dairy-free dishes for a reason. Cashews makes a great dairy substitute because they are high in fat with a subtle favor. They are extremely versatile and are used in everything from: cheese spread, ice cream, nut butter, cashew milk, cheesecake, ricotta and more.
The cashew cream is the star of this dish. Which makes it the perfect based for a creamy recipe like vegan scalloped potatoes.
This dish is the perfect compliment to any holiday center piece. A rich bubbly cashew sauce, that flows between layers of buttery potatoes. Golden, creamy, heartwarming vegan scalloped potatoes with a crispy baked cheese crust.
We love to pair these vegan scallop potato with this high protein roasted sweet potato quinoa with kale & spinach recipe from Gristle & Gossip.
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups Raw Cashews soaked in hot water 5 minutes
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk for extra creaminess we used 1 cup oat, 1 cup cashews
- ½ cup Nutritional Yeast
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Vegan Parmesan and chopped chives optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degree and lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Set aside
- Wash and peel potatoes, slice into ⅛ inch thick rounds.
- In a food processor or blender, add all the sauce ingredients and blend on high for about 5 minutes
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and stir for another minute. Turn off heat and set aside
- Now layer potatoes and creamy sauce to form the casserole. In baking pan add half of the sliced potatoes. Add half of the sauce on top. Now add all of the onions and garlic mixture. Add remaining potatoes and creamy sauce
- Bake for 1 hour, check a few potatoes with folk to make sure tender. If not bake an additional 10 minutes
- Once done sprinkle with vegan Parmesan and chopped chives
We used Elmhurst1925 plant based milks. The cashew and oat milks give great body and creamiest to bake goods and this vegan scalloped potatoes.
Looking for other 5 ingredients or less recipe try our cauliflower steak recipe.
If you give this vegan gluten-free dish a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way