3 Easy Ways To A Healthy And Delicious Vegan Gluten-Free Breakfast. Instant Pot, Oven or Slow Cooker. Choose Your Preferred Cooking Method And Enjoy A Big Warm Delicious Bowl Of Vegan Gluten-Free Pumpkin Oatmeal
15 easy quick minutes from start to eating a bowl of this healthy creamy and satisfying one pot vegan gluten-free breakfast.
- Steelcut Oatmeal - Instant oatmeal will not be a good substitute since its already process and not as hardy as the unprocessed steel cut grain. Instant oatmeal will be overcooked in this recipe
- Can Pumpkin Purée - you can pick up a can or you can also make your own. Food Network has a easy and simple recipe to make purée yourself.
- Spices - this isn’t your grandma’s oatmeal. The flavors are so good. It’s like if your favorite Starbucks Pumpkin Spice latte became a big warm cozy bowl of oatmeal.
Looking for a non-pumpkin fall breakfast idea. This is a very versatile recipe and can easily be made with canned sweet potatoes or butternut squash and taste just as good. Its really up to you which one you prefer.
Make sure to use plain canned purée not canned pumpkin or sweet potato pie mix as this will make the recipe entirely too sweet.
Is Oatmeal Gluten-Free?
Yes, technically oatmeal is gluten-free; but its complicated. The issue is that oatmeal is often processed in facilities that process gluten-containing grains like wheat, rye, and barley. Cross contamination becomes an issue in these facilities.
Look for oatmeal processed in a dedicated facility certified gluten-free by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization
Steel Cut Oatmeal Vs Rolled Oatmeal
Steel cut oats (aka Irish Oats or Pinhead Oats) are minimally processed; its the whole grain oat groat. They have a robust nutty flavor and have a chewy texture.
Rolled oats are made when the whole grain oat is steamed until soft and then compressed in a roller until fully dried. This process allows rolled oats to cook very quickly.
Both are healthy options and nutritionally are pretty similar with 1/4 uncooked cup having 5g of protein and 4g of fiber
Alternative Oatmeal Cooking Methods
- Instant Pot - 5 minutes on high, let sit for 10 minutes before opening the release valve to let out remaining steam
- Oven - Baking in stove on 375 degrees in dutch oven or large oven proof pot with lid on for 35 minutes
- Slow Cooker- for hands free cooking follow directions in recipe card and cook in your slower cooker on low for 8 hours
- Overnight - personally we only recommend the overnight no cook method for rolled oats
How To Store, Freeze and Reheat
Store in a tightly seal container with lid in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Leftovers can be refrigerated or frozen and reheated during the busy work week.
More Vegan Gluten-free Breakfast Options
Instant Pot Gluten-Free Pumpkin Oatmeal (Vegan, Dairy-Free)
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker (6 quart)
- 1 1/2 cups Steel cut oats - also called Irish oats or pinhead oats. Do not substitute rolled oats, will be too mushy.
- 1 cup Canned Pumpkin purée - can substitute sweet potato purée
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Non-Dairy Margarine - we like Earth Balance
- 2 cups Non-Dairy Milk - can use Almond or Oat Milk
- 2 1/2 cups Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Pecans
- Add non-dairy margarine, oatmeal, purée, spices, milk, water and brown sugar in instant pot/pressure cooker
- Press the manual setting and set the cooking time for 5 minutes on high
- Once the cooking time ends, let sit for 10 minutes before opening the release valve to let out remaining steam
- Dish up oatmeal and serve with a splash of non-dairy milk, drizzle of maple syrup and sprinkle of pecans
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
If you give this vegan gluten-free instant pot steel cut oatmeal recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram at #thevgnway
And be sure to check out more of our quick and easy plant-based recipes on www.thevgnway.com
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way