You most likely already have these 7 basic ingredients in your pantry. This creamy and homemade chocolate tofu pudding couldn’t be more delicious or easy to make! Serve this dairy-free dessert alone, with fruit or dairy-free whipped cream or on its own.
Why This Recipe Works
This Vegan Chocolate Pudding Is:
- To simple to make. Blend, chill, eat.
- Rich and Delicious
- Uses No Avocado
- And Super Chocolatey 😊
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - for a rich chocolate flavor. Could substitute cacao too.
- Instant Coffee - enhances the chocolate flavor of the mousse.
- Vegan Sugar
- Coconut Oil
- Vanilla Extract
- Silken Soft Tofu (16oz/1pound) - in refrigerator section. Makes this recipe extra smooth and creamy.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
You can substitute with non-refrigerated tofu sold in a tetra pak which is shelf-sable. Boxed in aseptic package, a pantry must. Tetra paks have a long shelf life of at least a year. Note for recipe the packages are usually smaller at 10 oz.
Other Uses For Silken Tofu
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse
- Tofu Scramble
- Base for creamy soups
Why Add Coffee To Your Chocolate Desserts?
Coffee is a great flavor enhancer to chocolate. It gives it a subtle mocha flavor and deepens the flavor for a even more chocolatier taste.
TIP: Do Not Substitute The Silken Tofu. Using Firm Tofu Will Result In Grainy Not Smooth Pudding.
Step 1: Drain silken tofu for 15 minutes. Place tofu and remaining ingredients in food processor on high speed.
Step 2: Blend for a few minutes. Stop to scrape down sides. Blend more for a total of about 5 minutes until mixed well and mixture is smooth.
Step 3: Pour the pudding into individual serving dishes.
Step 4: For a large serving place in 2 (6oz) containers and for a smaller serving 4 (3oz) containers.
Step 5: Be sure to place plastic wrap over the top, touching the surface of the pudding, so that a skin does not form on the top. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
Dairy based “Pudding is made by cooking milk and sugar for the base and adding cornstarch to thicken the mixture. Mousse is made by folding beaten egg whites or whipped cream into a cold milk and sugar base. Unlike pudding, mousse is not cooked and the addition of air to the mixture leads to a fluffier consistency and lighter”
So technically, our vegan pudding recipe is neither since we didn’t use egg whites, cornstarch, whipped cream, we didn’t cook or beat it.
But for taste texture and consistency this will make a great replacement for all your childhood pudding memories.
Silken tofu also known as “soft tofu” is a type of tofu that is undrained, unpressed and contains a high moisture content. Silken tofu is available in two consistencies: soft and firm. Because it has the highest water content it’s the smoothest and creamiest type of tofu. This makes it ideal for our pudding recipe
No, is the short answer. We’ve tried. The result is not good. We tried to create the smoothness of pudding and using firm tofu makes it grainy and not smooth.
Silken tofu is sold in most stores in the refrigerator section and health food stores always have a non-refrigerated smaller 10 oz box in aseptic package on the shelves. It’s shelve stable for at least a year; perfect for storing if your not able to easily pickup at your local grocery store.
Serving Suggestion For Vegan Pudding
- Top with vegan whipped topping
- Drizzle with vegan caramel
- Make a parfait with the pudding, whipped cream and crumble your favorite cookie into the layers.
To Store. Store leftovers with cling wrap over the top of the pudding in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
To Freeze. You can freeze our vegan pudding recipe. Just make sure to thaw in the refrigerator the night before. You could also make pudding pops. Note the texture is a little gritty after freezing but nothing like some of the gluten-free items we have encountered.
Vegan Chocolate Tofu pudding is a delicious and healthy dessert. It’s easy to prepare and you can customize it with different toppings. This vegan dessert provides the perfect balance of sweet and creamy without all the added sugar and fat from traditional pudding recipes. Whether you are looking for an indulgent treat or a health-conscious snack, this vegan chocolate tofu pudding is sure to satisfy your cravings!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below & if you REALLY like it, consider a comment down below. Thanks!
Chocolate Tofu Pudding
- Blender/Food Processor
- 4 individual containers
- 1 package Silken Soft Tofu - 16oz/1pound in refrigerator section
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons Vegan Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Instant Coffee
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- Drain silken tofu for 15 minutes
- Place tofu and remaining ingredients in food processor or high speed blender
- Blend for few minutes. Stop to scrape down sides. Blend more for a total of about 5 minutes until mixed well and mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mousse into individual serving dishes. For a large serving place in 2 (6oz) containers and for smaller servings 4 (3oz) containers.
- Be sure to place plastic wrap over the top, touching the surface of the pudding, so that a skin does not form on the top.
- Place in fridge for 1 hour
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
Like This Post? Pin This Recipe For Later!
Be sure to check out more of our plant-based desserts recipes.
What questions do you have? Leave us your questions/comments below or on Instagram at #thevgnway.
If you give this gluten free vegan tofu chocolate pudding recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram at #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way
I made this for me and my roommate and we loved it! It's really creamy. Do you have a vanilla pudding recipe? I'll look on the site.