This gluten-free vegan cauliflower gnocchi is definitely a recipe you want to try, this gnocchi is buttery and fluffy and goes get with pesto.
We initially approached this recipe with some trepidation; because gluten free pastas can be a sliding scale of tastes, texture and consistency. Cauliflower is such a rough textured vegetable that you might expect the gnocchi to come out the same. However, it turned out to be surprisingly light in consistency and has a very smooth texture. The ratio of flour to cauliflower mix means you won't end up with dense chewy dumplings, but rather fluffy, buttery vegan cauliflower gnocchi bites that will complement any dish you choose to put them with.
Try our tasty plant-based pesto with this buttery gnocchi.
How To Make Cauliflower Gnocchi
- 1 head Cauliflower
- 1½ cup Gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Vegan egg
- 1 teaspoon Vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degree. Wash and cut cauliflower crowns from the stems, then chop them into big chunks. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- In food processor (or blender) add cooked cauliflower and blend until smooth. It should look smooth and like the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- In a large bowl add ½ cup of gluten-free flour and blended cauliflower.
- Sprinkle extra flour on the surface where you will be rolling the gnocchi. Place half of the mixture on the surface. It will be sticky at first.
- flatten out mixture and add vegan egg, 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Add another ½ cup of flour and mix.
- Keep mixing and kneading with your hands. Depending on the size of the cauliflower you may need to add more flour if the dough is still sticky, add up to another ½ cup of gluten-free flour.
- Once the dough is no longer sticky, roll into long strips and cut into small pieces. Keep flour handy in case dough starts to stick.
- Add gnocchi to boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes until they rise to the top.
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil into the boiling a pan. add gnocchi and sauté for 10 to 15 minutes on medium heat until crispy.
- Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Mix with a sauce like Pesto, Mariana or Alfredo and enjoy
If you give this gluten free vegan gnocchi a try let us know! Take a picture and tag and us on Instagram at #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way