A Quick & Easy Homemade Vegan Sloppy Joe Baked Potato Recipe In A Hearty Tomato Sauce Served Over A Moist And Tender Baked Potato. Great Idea For Dinner And Perfect For Lunch Leftover’s
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions for this recipe are available in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. However you can find important tips/tricks in the post like how to store and substitutes.
- Brown sugar
- Montreal seasoning
- Bell Pepper
- Vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Tomato sauce & paste
- Baked potatoes
- Soy crumbles
See recipe card for quantities.
Scrub the potato, and prick several time with the tines of a fork. Place on a plate.
Cook on full power in the microwave for 5 minutes. Turn over, and continue to cook for 5 more minutes. When the potato is soft and tender remove it from the microwave. Be extremely careful as the plate is very hot. Set potatoes aside.
In large skillet place 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium low heat. Place all the ingredients in a pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
How To Serve Vegan Sloppy Joe’s
Its a very versatile sauce that can be served a lot of different ways.
- A Sandwich is the traditional way to serve this classic over a toasted gluten-free & vegan bun
- Over Fries with a little melted vegan cheese
- A Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole
Easy Vegan Lunch Idea
We made sure to make enough sauce for packaging up leftovers for lunch.
Find more delicious lunch ideas here.
Can I Use This As A Vegan Manwich Replacement?
Yes, this is a great substitute for brand name canned sloppy joe mix sauce. It's just as tasty and quick but plant-based and without a lot of additives.
Alternative Cooking Method
Baking Potato In Oven
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Scrub potatoes, pat dry, poke a few holes in potatoes, oil and salt exterior. Place on parchment lined baking sheet and cook until potatoes are tender. Bake for 60 to 90 minutes, depending on size of potatoes
Store sloppy joe and potatoes separately in airtight containers. Good for 2-3 days.
Vegan Sloppy Joe Baked Potato (Gluten-Free)
- Baking Sheet
- Large Sauce pan
- 6 Baking Potatoes - like Russet potatoes
Sloppy Joe Vegan Mixture
- 24 oz Soy crumbles
- 1 can Tomato sauce 15 oz can
- 1 Bell pepper (Medium) - diced
- ¼ cup Brown sugar
- ½ cup Mushrooms - chopped
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons Montreal seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Chives - chopped
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Sour Cream - for each potato
- 1 cup Vegan Shredded Cheddar cheese - divided among 6 potatoes
- If baking potatoes preheat oven to 425 degrees. If microwaving skip this step.
Preparing & Microwaving Baked Potatoes
- Scrub potato, pat dry, poke with a fork a few times, oil and lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Place potato on a plate. Cook on full power in the microwave for 5 minutes. Turn over, and continue to cook for 5 more minutes. When the potato is soft and tender remove from the microwave. Be extremely careful as the plate is very hot. Set potatoes aside.
- See above in post for oven baking instructions
- Potatoes are done when you can easily pierce with fork
Prepare Sloppy Joe Mixture
- Over medium heat add 2 tablespoon of olive oil in large pan.
- Chop bell peppers and add to sauce pan.
- Add all the ingredient and blend well.
- Cooking on low heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Assembling Baked Potato Sloppy Joe
- Cut a slit in the top of each potato; squeeze each open and fluff with fork.
- Top each potato with sloppy joe mixture, vegan sour cream and chives. Enjoy.
TIPSLook for microwave-ready potatoes in the produce section. They are wrapped in plastic and are ready to microwave.
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
Pin This Recipe For Later!
If you give this recipe and try please let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag us on Instagram at #thevgnway.
Be sure to check out more of our plant-based lunch recipes.
What questions do you have? Leave us your questions/comments below or on Instagram at #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way