This delicious homemade loaded hummus dip is easy to make and ready in under 30 minutes. It’s the perfect vegan protein! Use this recipe as the foundation to build your own hummus platter; a healthy snack, a great no cook meal, or a crowd pleasing appetizer for your next Super Bowl party.
Looking for more delicious hummus recipes, be sure to check out our delicious black-eyed pea hummus.
Hummus is a middle eastern dip. It is made from chickpeas also known as garbanzo beans.
This platter is made by layering a creamy hummus base; topped with chopped tomatoes, diced cucumbers, peppers and herbs and spices; enjoy with flat bread or pita chips.
Why This Recipe Works
- Quick & Easy
- It can be made as a game day snack, meal or an appetizer
- Versatile! You don’t have roasted red bell peppers, no problem use whatever you have in the pantry
- Great for large crowds
- A No Cook Meal
We always keep some hummus in the fridge to smear onto pita bread, dip with crudité or spread on a warm bun for a loaded black bean burger.
Homemade hummus is a protein packed vegan and gluten-free staple you'll want to make everyday.
- Chickpeas or garbanzo beans - we like to use canned chickpeas to save time and keep this recipe simple. No need to cook from scratch or peel off chickpea skins for creamy smooth hummus. You can also substitute other beans like white or black eye peas.
- Tahini - foundational ingredient for traditional hummus. Its made from ground sesame seeds and has a creamy, nutty flavor.
- Paprika – brings a nice smokiness to the hummus.
- Fresh Lemon Juice– important to really bring out all your flavors.
- Vegan Feta Cheese - optional but adds a nice creaminess. We use the Trader Joe’s brand.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Hummus With Vegan Meat
For a more hearty beefy plant-based alternative: Add some delicious Beyond Steak tips. If you hadn’t had a chance to try these yet read our full Beyond Steak tips review here. This hummus with vegan meat is a delicious appetizer or satisfying dinner.
Step 1: Prepare the garnish toppings.
Step 2: In a food processor. Add ingredients: chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, onion powder, cumin, salt and pepper everything except olive oil.
Step 3: Blend all the ingredients for 1 minute until begins to blend.
Step 4: With the machine running, drizzle in olive oil until you get very smooth, light and creamy mixture.
Step 5: Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt, garlic or lemon if needed.
Step 6: Spread the hummus on a plate/platter and top it with the garnish: feta cheese, diced tomatoes, peppers, diced cucumbers and chopped olives. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with pita bread.
There are a lot of options for hummus toppings. They can be broken up into several categories: meat, fruits and vegetables, nuts, spices and cheeses. Examples include soy crumbles, chopped steak, olives, pomegranate seeds, roasted peppers, diced tomatoes, sumac, paprika, slivered almonds, chopped pistachio nuts and feta cheese.
Hummus goes great with pita bread and chips, pretzels, falafel and crudité. Use it in place of mayo on a sandwich or wrap.
- To Store. Hummus can be made up to two days in advance; just cover and refrigerate in a container with airtight lid. Hummus with toppings will last up to 3 days in the fridge.
- Prepare In Advance. To make the loaded hummus ahead of time, keep the toppings and hummus separate until you’re ready to serve. Add the fresh toppings the day you’re planning to serve.
Other Related Dip and Appetizers to Consider
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below & if you REALLY like it, consider a comment down below. Thanks!
Homemade Loaded Hummus
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 2 - 15 oz cans Chickpeas aka Garbanzo beans - Reserve liquid to thin hummus or save aquafaba for later use.
- 6 tablespoons Tahini paste
- 8 tablespoons Lemon - juice of 2 lemons
- 6 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 ½ teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon Ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ cup water or aquafaba as needed - to thin out if needed
- Feta cheese, diced tomatoes, peppers, diced cucumbers and chopped olives
- Prepare the garnish toppings.Feta cheese, diced tomatoes, peppers, diced cucumbers and chopped olives
- In a food processor. Add ingredients: chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, onion powder, cumin, salt and pepper everything except olive oil.2 - 15 oz cans Chickpeas aka Garbanzo beans, 6 tablespoons Tahini paste, 8 tablespoons Lemon, 1 ½ teaspoon Onion powder, 1 ½ teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Garlic powder, ¾ teaspoon Ground cumin
- Blend all the ingredients for 1 minute until begins to blend.
- With the machine running, drizzle in olive oil until you get very smooth, light and creamy mixture.6 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt, garlic or lemon if needed.
- Spread the hummus on a plate/platter and top it with the garnish: feta cheese, diced tomatoes, peppers, diced cucumbers and chopped olives. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with pita bread.