If your looking to try a meat-free Monday or one pan plant-based meal, eggplant makes a great switch from the traditional chicken cacciatore. We definitely weren't the biggest fans of eggplant, it can sometimes have a slightly bitter taste. And if you have ever tried using an eggplant in a recipe you know that they can be temperamental. Even if you're simply sauteing them lightly and putting them into a salad you still have to deal with there unusual rubbery texture. And if they cook too fast they can become soft and mushy. But if paired with the right ingredients they can actually turn out really delicious.
We've actually tried this eggplant cacciatore recipe a few times in order to get it just right and that's including trying to find a good gluten free and vegan baguette. At one point we used pizza dough and let it sit for several days as it's swelled from the yeast and then shaped it into bread rolls. Ultimately once we got the recipe down to a science we really we're able to enjoy the flavor of the eggplant and tomatoes.
For our vegan eggplant cacciatore we added a twist to the classic recipe and used Alfredo sauce. Anyone who has had vegan cheeses knows these plant-based cheeses can be stubborn when it comes to melting. We did try a classic version with provolone too but really liked the cashew based Alfredo sauce. We used a store-bought brand of plant-based sauce. And we do intend to create our own homemade alfredo sauce and then try it with this recipe. Along with the garlic infused baguette we got a deep roasted and hearty flavorful meal.
In this preparation we used MyBread Gluten Free Bakery baguette for the sandwiches. Try it with our gluten-free onion rings.
Try this simple vegan recipes for beginners
Vegan Gluten-Free Eggplant Cacciatore Sandwich
- 1 large eggplant peeled & cut into cubes
- 1 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- ½ large onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup rice cooking wine
- ½ teaspoon oregano powder
- 4 oz. mushrooms chopped
- 1 bag Gluten Free Baguette a bag contains 2 baguettes
- Non dairy garlic spread or garlic mixed with 1 tablespoon butter alternative
- Top with provolone cheese or for a tangy twist vegan cashew Alfredo sauce optional
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut bread long wise, spreading the garlic spread on outside and inside of cut loaves
- Place parchment paper on baking sheet and place bread in oven for 15 minutes
- Heat olive oil in a large pan medium high heat
- Add onion (cook until translucent)
- Add the eggplant (stir occasionally, until tender)
- Add mushrooms stirring until they begin to juice and brown
- Sprinkle in a little salt and pepper
- Stir in rice cooking wine (letting liquid evaporate)
- Add oregano powder and diced tomatoes
- Stir all ingredients together and let them simmer until they become thick
- Take off heat and either mix in alfredo to entire dish or mix in to small amounts
- Add eggplant alfredo mix to garlic bread
If you give this gluten free vegan recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way
Leave a Reply