Fonio is a quick-cooking, versatile super grain. Naturally gluten-free and packed with nutrients. Learn how to cook fonio perfectly every time in less than 6 minutes.
What is Fonio?
Fonio is a small naturally gluten-free grain that is apart of the millet species of grains. Cultivated mainly in West African countries.
There are two types:
White - is the most common; available globally.
Black - is a similar crop grown in west Africa with limited availability.
Both are naturally gluten-free, high in fiber and packed with nutrients.
Taste & Texture
- Taste - has a mild nutty flavor. Which makes it perfect for adding to your favorite dishes. It can be used in both sweet & savory recipes!
- Texture - Like cooked grits or fluffy couscous. After it’s cooked it has a light, slightly chewy texture similar to rice or small couscous.
Health Benefits Of Fonio
Not only is it delicious & versatile, but it also has a range of amazing health benefits!
- Fonio is low on the glycemic index. Low glycemic foods help you avoid blood sugar spikes.
- Gluten-Free. It’s naturally gluten free, making it a great alternative for those with celiac, gluten intolerances and allergies.
- Protein & fiber. 1/4 cup of uncooked fonio has 2g of protein and 1g of fiber.
- Vitamins & minerals. A good source of fiber, iron, B-vitamins, zinc, magnesium and antioxidant’s.
In store at Whole Foods Market and Target. Online via Amazon, and ThriveMarket. Online locator at Yolèlè brand.
1 cup dry fonio yields 4 cups cooked.
1 part fonio to 2 parts water
Yes, Fonio is a gluten-free grain and is perfect for people with celiac and gluten intolerances.
No, it is not keto at 39g of carbohydrates per servings.
Step-by-step tutorial, you’ll learn how long to cook it so it’s nice and fluffy. Meal prep it for the week; to use in bowls, salads or one of the featured recipes below.
(full ingredient amounts in recipe card below)
In a medium saucepan, add 1 cup water and 1/2 cup fonio. Bring to a boil.
Cover tightly with a lid, simmer on low heat for 1 minute then remove from heat.
Let stand covered for 4 minutes (until the water evaporates).
Then simply fluff with a fork.
In a medium bowl, add 1 cup water and 1/2 cup fonio.
Cover tightly with microwave safe lid/plastic wrap and microwave for 2 minutes.
Keep covered and let stand for 3 minutes until water has been absorbed completely.
Fonio Flour is a great gluten-free option; it can replace rice flour in recipes. It’s great for cooking, baking and thickening foods. Use in breads, pancakes, muffins and cakes. Order online at Amazon.
It’s low on the glycemic index, has the 8 essential amino acids, 3 times more fiber and protein than rice.
Its nut-free and gluten-free; however, fonio flour is not low carb/keto friendly at 24g of carbohydrates per servings.
How To Store And Reheat
Refrigerator: Store leftovers in airtight container. Will keep for 3 - 4 days in the refrigerator.
Freezer: To freeze, let cool completely and store in freezer safe airtight container or large freeze-safe plastic bag. Freezes well for up to 1 - 2 months.
Reheat: When ready to serve, reheat in microwave safe bowl in 30 seconds increments in the microwave until warm.
9 More Recipes To Try Your New Favorite Super Grain:
- Fonio Pound Cake with Hibiscus Glaze
- Fluffy Fonio Pancakes
- Fonio Salad with Mango & Cashews
- Sweet Potato Fonio Tacos
- Vegan Fonio Meatballs in Peanut Sauce
- Creamy Fonio Cereal
- Slow-Cooker Overnight Fonio Porridge
- Fonio Holiday Stuffing with Dates
- Fonio Pilaf
- Use Fonio for Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers
How To Cook Fonio
- 1/2 Cup Fonio
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Teaspoon Olive oil
- 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
Fonio on the Stove Top
- In a medium saucepan, add 1 cup water, 1/2 cup fonio, olive oil and salt. Bring to a boil.1/2 Cup Fonio, 1 Cup Water, 1 Teaspoon Olive oil, 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
- Cover tightly with a lid, simmer on low heat for 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Let stand covered for 4 minutes (until the water evaporates).
- Then simply fluff with a fork and proceed with your recipe.
Fonio in the Microwave
- In a medium bowl, add 1 cup water and 1/2 cup fonio.1/2 Cup Fonio, 1 Cup Water, 1 Teaspoon Olive oil, 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
- Cover tightly with microwave safe lid/plastic wrap and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Keep covered and let stand for 3 minutes until water has been absorbed completely.
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
If you try Fonio let us know how you like it! Leave a comment, take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way