This Strawberries And Cream Quinoa Is Hearty And Satisfying. Plus It’s Made With Only 7 Ingredients! Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free And No Added Sugar-Free Breakfast.
PIN this Breakfast Quinoa recipe to try later!
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. However you can find important tips/tricks in the post like how to store, reheat and substitutes.
- Is Oatmeal Or Quinoa Better For You?
- How Many Calories Are In Strawberries & Cream Quinoa ?
- How To Sweeten?
- Quinoa Breakfast Bowl Variation
- Cooking Quinoa
- Alternate Cooking Method
- How To Store
- Can You Make It Ahead Of Time?
- More Quinoa Recipes
- Easy Strawberries And Cream Breakfast Quinoa Bowl
Looking for more protein in your vegan breakfast with a lot of flavor? Tired of the usual morning grains - oatmeal and grits that are carb heavy and protein light?
Welcome to our yummy strawberry and cream quinoa breakfast recipe. The fruit and quinoa helps us create a nutritionally dense, healthy breakfast bowl for vegans and non vegans alike.
Quinoa - a superfood seed packed with protein
Strawberries - are a good source of vitamin C and potassium
Is Oatmeal Or Quinoa Better For You?
Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah), is described as a "superfood". It’s a type of edible seed that comes in a variety of colors including black, red, yellow, and white. Quinoa is packed with protein, fiber and various vitamins (B1, Folate, Magnesium) and minerals. It is a complete protein, meaning that it contains all nine essential amino acids that our bodies cannot make on their own. It is also gluten-free and is recommended for people who are on a gluten-free diet
Nutritionally speaking, if we compare 1 cooked cup of each:
- Oatmeal 3.5 ounces (100 grams) has 2.5g of fat; 25g of carbs, 3.7g of fiber and 5g of protein.
- Quinoa 1 cup (185 grams) has 1.9g of fat; 21g of carbs, 2.8g of fiber and 4.4g of protein
Quinoa is more nutritionally dense but oatmeal still makes a healthy breakfast choice.
How Many Calories Are In Strawberries & Cream Quinoa ?
We want this recipe to have a rich and decadent taste but without all the sugar and calories. By adding the whip cream and jam at the end you get to control how much rich creaminess and additional calories you want. A single ½ cup serving before the toppings is 84 calories x sugar and y protein.
How To Sweeten?
We don’t find it necessary to add sugar to this recipe because the jam is already sweet. But you can definitely add a drizzle of maple syrup, sugar in the raw, date syrup or honey if you eat it.
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl Variation
We also have a choose your own adventure style Quinoa breakfast bowl recipe on the site too.
Alternate Cooking Method
We have also used our leftover instant pot plain quinoa. Which is perfect when you want to meal prep or on busy weekdays. If using leftover quinoa I would definitely add more oat or almond milk when reheating since you cooked in water and would have a heavier hand on the sliced strawberry topping to really infuse both the creaminess and fruitiness.
How To Store
Store quinoa in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Can You Make It Ahead Of Time?
Yes, this is a great weekly meal prep recipe.
More Quinoa Recipes
Easy Strawberries And Cream Breakfast Quinoa Bowl
- 1 ½ cup dairy-free milk – we use oat milk or almond milk
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup quick cooking quinoa
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam – we make an easy homemade microwave jam but you can used store-bought too
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pour the quinoa into a fine mesh colander and rinse under running water for around 30 seconds. Drain well. This step removes any bitterness on the outside of the quinoa caused by naturally occurring saponins
- Combine the rinsed quinoa and 1 ½ cup milk, ½ cup water, 2 tablespoons of strawberry jam, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract and pinch of salt in a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat about 3 minutes, then decrease the heat to low for a gentle simmer.
- Cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid
- Remove the pot from heat and let stand for 5 more minutes, covered.
- Top and serve
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
More vegan & gluten-free breakfast recipe ideas.
PIN for later!
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way