For those of you who may not know, we live in Atlanta, Ga. Home of the lemon pepper wet wing. These Lemon Pepper Cauliflower wing are our meat-free take on the classic Lemon Pepper Wet wings Atlanta is known for.
Why Use Cauliflower For A Vegan Meat Substitute?
Because cauliflower’s neutral taste makes it perfect to take on a full range of flavors. Its a sponge for soaking up the sour lemon, peppery and sweet flavors of maple syrup for this zesty tangy glaze. We cook the cauliflower a bit in this recipe so that its a little more tender than the raw edible version but its sturdy structure makes sure it holds up nicely after frying.
The batter is light and fluffy with a slightly crispy crunch to it.
You’ll never miss the chicken, we promise.
Other vegetables that are great for replacing meat in vegan dishes
- Mushrooms are great, try our Portabello Mushroom Fajitas
- Eggplant, we love this quick and simple Eggplant Cacciatore
- Butternut Squash, here's our Spicy Tomato & Black Bean Quinoa Butternut Squash recipe
- Beets, you will not believe how good this Beet Rueben Sandwich is
- Jackfruit, this is a favorite with the kiddos Jackfruit Chicken Nuggets
These cauliflower bites have a tangy-sweet heat that will leave you wanting more. These lemon pepper cauliflower wings are beautiful to look at; but more importantly, are a symphony of sweet and sour in your mouth.
How To Make Lemon Pepper Cauliflower Wings
- Frying pan
- 1 medium Cauliflower
- ½ cup Gluten-free flour
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¾ cup water
- 1 ½ cup of bread crumbs
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ⅓ cup Lemon juice - about 1 ½ lemons
- ¼ cup Maple syrup
- 1½ teaspoons Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon Cornstarch added to 1 tablespoon water
- Oil of choice for frying
- In medium frying pan add oil and heat on medium high
- In a bowl mix ingredients for wet batter. Mix until smooth and thick.
- In a separate bowl add bread crumbs, coconut flour and mix well
- Evenly coat cauliflower florets in the wet batter
- Then coat cauliflower in breadcrumbs mix
- Add breaded cauliflower to hot oil, careful not to crowd
- Cook florets until golden brown (approximately 20 -25 minutes)
- Set on paper towels or in strainer to drain excess oil
- Transfer to a bowl add glaze and evenly coat
- Enjoy with side of rice
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
We are in the test kitchen working on the perfect air-fryer version of this lemon pepper cauliflower wings recipe to share with you soon.
Be sure to check out more of our plant-based dinner recipes.
What questions do you have? Leave us your questions/comments below or on Instagram at #thevgnway.
If you give this gluten free vegan recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram at #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way
Adapted from thefoodietakesflight.com