For those of you who may not know, we live in Atlanta, Ga. Home of the lemon pepper wet wing. These Lemon Pepper Cauliflower wing are our meat-free take on the classic Lemon Pepper Wet wings Atlanta is known for.
Why Use Cauliflower For A Vegan Meat Substitute?
Because cauliflower’s neutral taste makes it perfect to take on a full range of flavors. Its a sponge for soaking up the sour lemon, peppery and sweet flavors of maple syrup for this zesty tangy glaze. We cook the cauliflower a bit in this recipe so that its a little more tender than the raw edible version but its sturdy structure makes sure it holds up nicely after frying.
The batter is light and fluffy with a slightly crispy crunch to it.
You’ll never miss the chicken, we promise.
Other vegetables that are great for replacing meat in vegan dishes
- Mushrooms are great, try our Portabello Mushroom Fajitas
- Eggplant, we love this quick and simple Eggplant Cacciatore
- Butternut Squash, here's our Spicy Tomato & Black Bean Quinoa Butternut Squash recipe
- Beets, you will not believe how good this Beet Rueben Sandwich is
- Jackfruit, this is a favorite with the kiddos Jackfruit Chicken Nuggets
These cauliflower bites have a tangy-sweet heat that will leave you wanting more. These lemon pepper cauliflower wings are beautiful to look at; but more importantly, are a symphony of sweet and sour in your mouth.
How To Make Lemon Pepper Cauliflower Wings
- 1 medium Cauliflower
- ½ cup Gluten-free flour
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¾ cup water
- 1 ½ cup of bread crumbs
- ½ cup coconut flour or more bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup Lemon juice - about 1 ½ lemons
- ¼ cup Maple syrup
- 1½ teaspoons Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon Cornstarch added to 1 tablespoon water
- In a bowl mix ingredients for the batter (mix until smooth and thick)
- Evenly coat florets in the batter
- In a separate bowl add bread crumbs and coconut flour mix
- Coat cauliflower in breadcrumbs mix
- Heat oil in a pan
- Cook florets until golden brown
- Set on paper towels or in strainer to drain excess oil
- Transfer to a bowl add glaze and evenly coat
- Add over rice
We are in the test kitchen working on the perfect air-fryer version of this lemon pepper cauliflower wings recipe to share with you soon.
Be sure to check out more of our plant-based dinner recipes.
What questions do you have? Leave us your questions/comments below or on Instagram at #thevgnway.
If you give this gluten free vegan recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram at #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way
Adapted from thefoodietakesflight.com