Ever had quinoa for breakfast? Creamy with sweet toppings. We made a big protein filled breakfast bowl to get you through the week.
Quinoa Is A Great Gluten-Free Breakfast Grain Alternative
Quinoa has a reputation for being bitter but a few quick rinses under cold water will get rid of that and before you know it this will be a breakfast go to.
This high protein breakfast bowl makes a nice alternative to traditional oatmeal for breakfast.
Quinoa Health Benefits:
- High in protein
- High in fiber
- Contains antioxidants
- Is a complete protein; contains all nine essential amino acids
- High in Iron
Is Quinoa Better For You Than Oatmeal?
Nutritionally speaking, if we compare 1 cooked cup of each:
- Oatmeal 3.5 ounces (100 grams) has 2.5g of fat; 25g of carbs, 3.7g of fiber and 5g of protein.
- Quinoa 1 cup (185 grams) has 1.9g of fat; 21g of carbs, 2.8g of fiber and 4.4g of protein
Quinoa is more nutritionally dense but oatmeal still makes a healthy breakfast choice.
Toppings For Quinoa Breakfast Bowl:
Making the quinoa is pretty simple and straight forward. The fun part is the flavor combinations you can come up with for this high protein vegan breakfast.
- Homemade Granola
- A drizzle of maple syrup
- A sprig of Mint
- Maple Syrup
- Nut Butter’s
Store leftovers quinoa in an airtight container for the week.
How To Make Quinoa For Breakfast
- 1 cup Quinoa Wash quinoa in a few changes of water. Rinse and drain well
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Rinse 1 cup of quinoa in a fine mesh colander (note rinsing will wash away the bitter coating of the quinoa seed, wash quinoa in a few changes of water) Rinse and drain well
- In a medium pot over medium heat, add quinoa to 2 cups of liquid and ½ teaspoon salt
- Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes until tender
- Let sit for 5 minutes
- See suggestions below to assembly the perfect Quinoa Breakfast bowl and enjoy!
If you give this gluten free vegan quinoa breakfast bowl recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
And be sure to check out more of our plant-based gluten-free breakfast recipes on www.thevgnway.com
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way