Ever had quinoa for breakfast? Creamy with sweet toppings. This high protein vegan breakfast Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is great for a busy week on the go.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. However you can find important tips/tricks in the post like how to store, reheat and substitutes.i
Why This Recipe Works
Quinoa Is A Great Gluten-Free Breakfast Grain Alternative.
This high protein breakfast bowl makes a nice alternative to traditional oatmeal for breakfast.
Quinoa Health Benefits:
- High in protein
- High in fiber
- Contains antioxidants
- Is a complete protein; contains all nine essential amino acids
- High in Iron
Toppings - nuts, fruits and coconut
Step 1: Rinse 1 cup of quinoa in a fine mesh colander (note rinsing will wash away the bitter coating of the quinoa seed, wash quinoa in a few changes of water) Rinse and drain well
Step 2: In a medium pot over medium heat, add quinoa to 2 cups of liquid and ½ teaspoon salt
Step 3: Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes until tender
Step 4: Let sit for 5 minutes
See suggested toppings below to assembly the perfect Quinoa Breakfast bowl and enjoy!
Quinoa has a reputation for being bitter but a few quick rinses under cold water will get rid of that by removing the outer coating which contains saponins which causes the bitterness.
Buying a fine mesh colander like the one picture here makes quick work of rinsing it. You can purchase on Amazon.
Toppings For Bowl
Making the quinoa is pretty simple and straight forward. The fun part is the flavor combinations you can come up with for this high protein vegan breakfast.
- Homemade Granola
- A drizzle of maple syrup
- A sprig of Mint
- Maple Syrup
- Nut Butter’s
Nutritionally speaking, if we compare 1 cooked cup of each:
• Oatmeal 3.5 ounces (100 grams) has 2.5g of fat; 25g of carbs, 3.7g of fiber and 5g of protein.
• Quinoa 1 cup (185 grams) has 1.9g of fat; 21g of carbs, 2.8g of fiber and 4.4g of protein
Quinoa is more nutritionally dense but oatmeal still makes a healthy breakfast choice.
We made a post to walk you through how easy it is to make Quinoa in the Instant Pot
- To Store. Store leftovers quinoa in an airtight container will last up to 3 days in the fridge.
More High Protein Vegan Breakfasts
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below & if you REALLY like it, consider a comment down below. Thanks!
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 cup Quinoa Wash quinoa in a few changes of water. Rinse and drain well
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Rinse 1 cup of quinoa in a fine mesh colander (note rinsing will wash away the bitter coating of the quinoa seed, wash quinoa in a few changes of water) Rinse and drain well.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, add quinoa to 2 cups of liquid and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes until tender.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- See suggestions below to assembly the perfect Quinoa Breakfast bowl and enjoy!
If you give this gluten free vegan quinoa breakfast bowl recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.