Easy 3 ingredients 15 minutes Caramel Sauce
Vegan Caramel Sauce – You’d never guess this sweet golden buttery sauce is dairy free, plant-based and gluten-free! It’s exactly what you want over an ice cream sundae–thick, creamy, and perfectly sweet.
When anyone considers going vegan you always have those deal breakers. Those items you just can't live without. One of those things I always enjoyed as a guilty pleasure was caramel sundaes topped with peanuts. But as you get older you realize somethings just don't agree with you; namely, milk. I was really sad at the thought of giving up ice cream but vegan options have come a long way.
The thought of having caramel never even enter my mind, but then we discovered condensed coconut milk.
Caramel sauce is traditionally made by mixing caramelized sugar with cream from cow’s milk. This condensed milk is made from coconut, water, and cane sugar. It's a great dairy-free substitute for recipes that call for condensed milk.
Vegan Caramel Sauce Serving Suggestions
- Ice Cream Sundae
- Caramel Apple
- Vegan Cheesecakes
- French Toast
This vegan caramel sauce is sweet, delicious and super easy with only 3 ingredients and actually quick to make. Trust us you need this is your life now.
The flavor is buttery, sweet with a hint of coconut but not overpowering.
As the caramel cools it will begin to thicken. Store in the refrigerator it will keep in the fridge for a few weeks.
It will thicken into more of a buttery spread. Spoon out some on the sauce in a microwave container and reheat. Be very careful to not overheat. Caramel is sugar and will burn really quickly. Try 10-sec intervals until you the liquid consistency you want.
Vegan Caramel Sauce
- 1 can Condensed Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup Vegan Butter
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- Dissolve the sugar with the condensed coconut milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Simmer over low heat, whisking constantly. Keep a very close eye on the sauce as you don’t want it to burn and stick to the pan. The colour will turn to a deep caramel colour, It’ll happen quickly and as soon as it does, you want to remove it from the heat so it doesn’t burn.
- Next add your vegan butter and whisk until it is melted and looks creamy.
- Let the caramel sauce cool completely, store glass container.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.
Looking for more classic candy recipes try our vegan fudge recipe.
If you give this vegan caramel a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram at #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way