This vegan gluten-free apple rhubarb crisp topped with a delicious tender oatmeal and cinnamon streusel and filled with sweet apple and rhubarb filling. Just as delicious the traditional version. They're so easy to make and ready in under an hour.
Why This Recipe?
- Simple Ingredients
- You can use fresh or frozen rhubarb to enjoy any time of year.
- Easy to make. You get to skip making pie dough but still get to enjoy the delicious filling and a quick easy crumble crust.
- This crisp only takes about 15 minutes of prep time
- All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- Gluten-Free Rolled Oats
- Rhubarb - fresh or frozen (if using frozen, place in colander and briefly rinse under cold water)
- Vegan Butter
Step 1: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Step 2: Peel, core and cut into wedges (about 12 slices for each apple).
Step 3: Clean, trim and cut fresh rhubarb into half inch pieces. (If using frozen, place in colander, rinse under cold water and let drain to remove any excess water)
Step 4: In a large bowl add fruit, cinnamon and 3 tablespoons of sugar and mix well. Scoop fruit into 4 large baking ramekins.
Step 5: In medium bowl add gluten-free flour into bowl and add 12 tablespoons sugar, oats and pinch of salt, mix thoroughly. Sprinkle crumble evenly oven ramekins. Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
Step 6: Bake for 45 minutes or until fruit is bubbling and golden brown on top
Step 7: Serve warm with vegan vanilla ice cream and/or a drizzle of vegan caramel sauce if desired.
Firm apples that will hold up to baking and not become mush. A lot of recipes recommend sweeter apples. But this is a great recipe to use whatever apples you have on hand or from apple picking. So a combination of sweet & tart works well. Some good varieties are: Pink Lady, McIntosh, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious and Honeycrisp.
Yes, this recipe is already dairy-free. We use Earth Balance buttery spread.
Best eaten the day of. If you do have leftovers heat in oven on low for ten to fifteen minutes.
Vegan Gluten-Free Apple Rhubarb Crisp
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 4 tablespoons Gluten-Free Rolled Oats
- ¼ Cup All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- 4 tablespoons Vegan Butter cold and cubed
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 3 Apples - large
- 3 Stalks Rhubarb - chopped (if using frozen, place in colander and briefly rinse under cold water)
- 6 tablespoons Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree.
- Peel, quarter and core apples and cut into chunks.
- Slice washed and trimmed pieces of rhubarb; similar size pieces to the apples.
- In a large bowl add fruit, cinnamon and 6 tablespoons of sugar and mix well. Scoop fruit into 4 large-ish baking ramekins.
- Add remaining ingredients - gluten-free flour, sugar, butter, oats and pinch of salt. Use fork to combine thoroughly. Sprinkle crumble evenly oven ramekins. Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until fruit is bubbling and golden brown on top.
- Carefully remove from the oven, let cool slightly, then serve.
AUTHOR NOTE Adapted slightly from the MEAT FREE MONDAY cookbook
Be sure to check out our other vegan gluten-free desserts and if you give this gluten free vegan dish a try let us know! Comment below and let us know how you enjoyed it.
The Vgn Way
Live Love and Eat Good Food!