Jackfruit is a very versatile fruit. For bbq jackfruit you use the young unripe form which soaks up flavor well, has a meaty texture, and is full of sustaining fiber and nutrients like B6, vitamin C and potassium and some protein.
The key to this delicious jackfruit bbq sandwich is using a sweet and smokey vegan gluten-free sauce. We like the Sweet Baby Ray's which is vegan and gluten-free but always check your labels as formula change.
Is Jackfruit Gluten-Free?
Most definitely yes, jackfruit is gluten-free in its young state it's often preserved in brine (a salt and water solution). However, be careful of prepackaged and/or frozen jackfruit with flavoring which can contain gluten.
BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich
- 1 20 ounce can Young green jackfruit in brine NOT in syrup or to be confused with ripened jackfruit, which would be too sweet. We use the Trader Joe’s one see image below.
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce (ensure it’s vegan and gluten-free)
- 4 Gluten-free Hamburger buns
- Drain jackfruit, if you see any seeds remove them.
- Place in heated large skillet over medium heat. As it cooks and gets tender, pull apart with a fork or spatula. Cook for about 30 minutes until tender. Add water if needed.
- Add BBQ sauce and stir and reduce heat to low- medium and cook for about 5 minutes (up to 10 minutes on low for a deeper flavor).
- Place generous portions of bbq jackfruit on bun. Add your favorite toppings; pickles, coleslaw or even lettuce.
- Leftover jackfruit keeps for up to a couple days in the fridge.
Be sure to check out more of our jackfruit dinner recipes on www.thevgnway.com
If you give this vegan gluten-free fried jackfruit recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way