This Oreo Cheesecake is so delicious, baked in an Oreo crust; so easy to make no one will even believe its vegan and gluten free.
Vegan Cheesecake is easy enough to make with recipes variations that include plant-based cream cheese, sour cream and cashew bases. But the one thing that has eluded gluten-free vegans until now is the Oreo cheesecake.Jump to Recipe
Are Oreo's vegan and dairy free?
Yes, Oreos cookies are finally gluten-free and vegan, oh happy day.
Oreos haven’t always been vegan. The journey to vegan & gluten-free Oreos is long and whining.
But long story short in January 2006, Oreo replaced the trans fat in the cookies with non-hydrogenated oils. However, the recipe included whey protein, which is derived from dairy. When the whey protein was removed, the cookies finally became vegan on Feb 2, 2014.
Are Oreo's Gluten-Free?
On January 21, 2021 Nabisco released a gluten-free version of the cookie making the classic chocolate sandwich cookie vegan and gluten-free. Sidenote, Oreos are produced in a factory that makes cookies with dairy and for some this may mean they are not suitable for consumption.
Gluten-free Oreos are certified GFCO gluten-free and are made from a mix of white rice, tapioca, cornstarch, gluten free whole oat flour's and starches
What Is Vegan Cheesecake Made From?
- Cream Cheese - there are a number of vegan cream cheeses on the market; however, for now we prefer the texture and consistency we get from Toffuitti cream cheese, one of the oldest vegan dairy substitute on the market. We've also used the Trader Joe's brand creme cheese that worked well. The batter was a bit looser but produce a lovely golden color for the cake
- Heavy Cream - there are a number of vegan heavy creams on the market - most made from coconut, soy or oat milks. We preferred to use a non-coconut based one to fully enjoy the chocolate flavor of the cookies
- Vegan Egg Replacer - we used Bob's egg replacer
- Gluten Free Cookies - We used a vegan and gluten free chocolate with vanilla icing sandwich cookie for the Oreo crust recipe. You can also substitute Glutino chocolate vanilla crème cookies if the Oreos are not available in your area
How long will this cheesecake keep for?
Your cheesecake will last for about a week in the refrigerator. Make sure to cover so odors from the refrigerator don’t seep in and the cake doesn’t dry out.
Can I freeze?
This cheesecake is perfect for making in advance and freezing for later. Wrap well before freezing and thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving. We’ve frozen up to a month in advance
For More Delicious Gluten-free Vegan Desserts Recipes
EASY TO MAKE OREO CHEESECAKE (GLUTEN- FREE AND VEGAN)
- 9 inch Non-Stick Springform Pan
- Parchment Paper
Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- 2 13.29 oz Packages of vegan gluten-free Oreos - set some aside for garnish and you can also use Glutino chocolate vanilla creme cookies as a replacement
Oreo Pie Crust
- 15 ounces Vegan gluten-free Oreos - about 1 ⅓ packages of cookies; crushed into fine powder. Set aside 1oz to top cake
- 6 tablespoons Vegan butter - melted
- 2 8oz Vegan gluten-free Cream Cheese - we like Tofutti which is a soybean, palm fruit and olive blend
- 2 tablespoons Vegan dairy-free heavy cream
- ½ tablespoons All purpose gluten-free flour
- 6 tablespoons Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Lemon juice fresh
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Vegan eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- To make our crust we’ll be using the entire Oreo cookie. No need to remove the creme filling. Crush 14 oz of cookies until finely grounded; for best results use food processor or blender and place 1 oz of cookies aside for topping
- Cut and place parchment circle on bottom of pan and then lightly oil sides of springform pan
- Place cookie mixture into 9 inch springform pan
- Use fingers to press crumbles into bottom of springform pan forming your oreo cookie crust. Side aside.
- In small bowl prepare vegan egg mixture. Set aside
- In large bowl blend together(with hand mixer or food processor) cream cheese, heavy cream, flour, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice & vegan egg. Blend well.
- Pour mixture into pan on top of cookie crust. Sprinkle with remaining 1 oz of crushed oreo cookies.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick if any batter sticks, cook few more minutes and test again
- When done allow to cool for 45 minutes in springform pan. Cool completely before releasing from pan
- Release from pan and refrigerate for ⅔ hours before cutting to allow to fully set
Garnish & Serve
- Before serving top with whip cream and oreo cookies for decoration
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
If you give this vegan gluten-free Oreo cheesecake recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram at #thevgnway
And be sure to check out more of our quick and easy plant-based recipes on www.thevgnway.com
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way