This homemade fresh summer squash & zucchini salsa makes an excellent side dish. Less than 8 ingredients & under 10 Minutes. So easy and quick to make; a perfect side dish for barbecue, 4th of July or any summer holiday.
Tomatoes are what comes to mind when you think of salsa. But salsa can also be any raw veggie or fruit mixed with onions and peppers in a sauce. This unique squash salsa recipe is the perfect no-fuss recipe.
Why This Recipe Works?
We wanted to create a quick squash and zucchini squash recipe that takes advantage of the summer season. Summer squash are in-season from June through late August.
- Easy to make. One bowl recipe.
- Great recipe to take advantage of summer bounty with your haul of zucchini’s and yellow squash.
- Great way to sneak extra vegetables in an appetizer.
- Great low carb side dish.
Zucchini & Yellow Squash are great keto-friendly vegan low-carb vegetables.
Select squash that are smooth blemish-free. Store in a produce bag in the vegetable bin for up to one week.
Yellow squash - rich in vitamin C and high in fiber, which aids in digestion. Good source of vitamin B6, A, Iron, Calcium and Magnesium
Zucchini - rich in vitamin C, A, and calcium
Sweet Basil - is a flavorful, leafy green herb. It’s actually a member of the mint family. You definitely want to use fresh basil if you have some on hand. The sweetness it adds to the dish is incredible.
Here is a great article about everything you ever wanted to know about squash.
Step 1: Diced onion, bell peppers, parsley and basil set aside.
Step 2: Prepare yellow squash and zucchini. Lightly rinse and dice squash. Set aside.
Step 3: In medium saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
Step 4: Add diced zucchini, yellow squash and salt and pepper to taste.
Step 5: Saute until just tender about 3 minutes. Careful to not over cook, should still have crunch to them you do not want them to become mushy.
Step 6: Set squash aside to cool
Step 7: In bowl tossed cooled vegetables, diced onions, diced bell peppers, parsley, basil and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Can You Make It Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can prepare the salsa up to a day ahead. As long as the squash wasn’t overcooked it will retain a nice crunch. Store in air tight container in the refrigerator, it will keep for a day before becoming soggy
What Do You Serve It With?
- Butternut Squash Salsa
- Mango Salsa
- Texas Caviar
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below & if you REALLY like it, consider a comment down below. Thanks!
Summer Yellow & Zucchini Squash Salsa
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 medium Zucchini (8oz) - diced
- 1 medium Yellow Squash (8oz) - diced
- ½ Red Bell Pepper - diced
- ½ Yellow Bell Pepper - diced
- ½ medium Red Onion - diced
- 2 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar - optional
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Basil - chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley - chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Diced onion, bell peppers, parsley and basil set aside.
- Prepare squash. Lightly rinse and dice squash. Set aside.
- In medium saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add diced zucchini, yellow squash and salt and pepper to taste.
- Sauté until just tender about 3 minutes. Careful to not over cook, should still have crunch to them you do not want them to become mushy.
- Set squash aside to cool
- In bowl tossed cooled vegetables, diced onions, diced bell peppers, parsley, basil and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
If you give this squash salsa recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
THE VGN WAY