This homemade fresh summer squash & zucchini salsa makes a excellent side dish. Less than 8 ingredients & under 10 Minutes. So easy and quick to make; a perfect side dish for barbecue, 4th of July or any summer holiday.
Tomatoes are what comes to mind when you think of salsa. But salsa can also be any raw veggie or fruit mixed with onions and peppers in a sauce. This unique squash salsa recipe is the perfect no-fuss recipe.
This Is Your New Quick Go-To Healthy Low Carb Side Dish
If you're looking for a new summer side dish. Sauteeing makes this a super quick recipe. One bowl and you're done.
We wanted to create a quick cook, yellow squash and zucchini squash recipe to take advantage of the summer season. Summer squash are in-season from June through late August.
Select squash that are smooth blemish-free. Store in a produce bag in the vegetable bin for up to one week.
Zucchini & Yellow Squash are great keto-friendly vegan low-carb vegetables.
- Yellow squash - rich in vitamin C and high in fiber, which aids in digestion. Good source of vitamin B6, A, Iron, Calcium and Magnesium
- Zucchini - rich in vitamin C, A, and calcium
- Sweet Basil - is a flavorful, leafy green herb. It’s actually a member of the mint family. You definitely want to use fresh basil if you have some on hand. The sweetness it adds to the dish is incredible.
Here is a great article about everything you ever wanted to know about squash.
Can You Make It Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can prepare the salsa up to a day ahead. As long as the squash wasn’t overcooked it will retain a nice crunch. Store in air tight container in the refrigerator, it will keep for a day before becoming soggy
What Do You Serve It With?
Non-Traditional Alternatives To Traditional Tomato Salsa
Summer Yellow Squash & Zucchini Salsa
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 medium Zucchini (8oz) - diced
- 1 medium Yellow Squash (8oz) - diced
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper - diced
- 1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper - diced
- 1/2 medium Red Onion - diced
- 2 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar - optional
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Basil - chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley - chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In medium saucepan and 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add diced zucchini, yellow squash and salt and pepper to taste.
- Sautee until just tender about 3 minutes. Careful to not over cook, should still have crunch to them you do not want them to become mushy.
- Set squash aside to cool
- In bowl tossed cooled vegetables, parsley, basil and 2 tablespoons of olive oil
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
If you give this squash salsa recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
THE VGN WAY
- Meat Alternatives (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
- Eggless Sweet Potato Quiche (Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free & Vegan)
- Easy Dairy-Free Vegan Hollandaise Sauce (Gluten-Free)
- Easy Veganuary Recipes
- 10 Easy JUST Egg Recipes Ideas
- The Best Milk Chocolate For Vegans
- Falafel Kebab (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- Overnight Chai Oats With Quinoa (Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free & Vegan)