This is a very allergy-friendly mousse it's Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Egg-free and Gluten-Free
This is a vegan dessert with tofu and aquafaba, two ingredients you may not think of when you're reaching for your favorite plant-based desserts.
The taste and texture of this vegan mousse are two things we think you'll really enjoy about this recipe. Banana and peanut butter make a great combination and blend together without either flavor overpowering the other.
The texture is smooth, real smooth lol. This is because of silken tofu and aquafaba.
What Is Aquafaba And Why Am I Seeing It In All My Vegan Desserts?
Aquafaba is the thick liquid that results from soaking or cooking chickpeas; some food bloggers say you can also use the liquid from any legumes. The liquid from cans beans is the same but without the wait or preparation of dried beans. It's so popular in vegan cooking because its a great substitute for egg whites in recipes because it whips up nicely.
We normally get our liquid from canned chickpeas for Aquafaba when we make hummus. We catch and save it for later use and it keeps for a week or two. Vegansociety.com has a great article about 20 different things you can do with Aquafaba.
How To Make A Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Mousse Treat
- 16 ounce Silken tofu - drained
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter
- 1 Banana
- 4 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1/3 cup Aquafaba
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Add the silken tofu, banana, peanut butter and maple syrup to a blender or food processor
- Blend until completely smooth
- Scoop mix into a bowl and place into the refrigerator while you make the whipped cream
How To Make Aquafaba Whipped Cream
- Drain chickpea liquid from a can of chickpeas into a measuring cup (this is Aquafaba)
- Measure out 1/3 cup of liquid and pour into bowl
- Add lemon juice
- With a hand mixer, mix the Aquafaba between 10 and 15 minutes, whipping it until you have stiff peaks
- Gently fold the aquafaba into the peanut butter banana mixture using a spatula
- Spoon mix into small cups or jars and place into refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight for best results
If you give this vegan mousse recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
And check out some of our plant-based and gluten-free breakfast recipes on www.thevgnway.com
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way