This easy to make; dairy-free peanut butter mousse is creamy, light with a rich chocolate topping, the perfect no-bake dessert treat.
This is a very simple & easy allergy-friendly mousse it's dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free and plant-based
Traditionally mousse is dairy heavy; made with heavy cream and eggs but being vegan means we needed a mousse without the use of heavy cream or eggs.
Table of contents
Is Mousse Vegan?
Yes, this mousse is vegan. We have eliminated all dairy products like: egg, cream cheese or heavy cream. That would have traditionally made this recipe non-vegan.
- Aquafaba - aids in structure, egg replacer
- Silken Tofu - silken tofu is extremely neutral in flavor and blends up to be super smooth. It makes the perfect base for mousse.
- Maple Syrup - for sweetness
- Banana - the flavor is not over powering, and helps give it body and adds sweetness.
- Chocolate - optionally you can make this mousse with or without adding the chocolate topping, its great both ways.
This dairy-free mousse uses silken tofu and aquafaba, two ingredients you may not think of when you're reaching for your favorite plant-based desserts.
The taste and texture of this vegan aquafaba peanut butter banana mousse are two things we think you'll really enjoy about this recipe. Banana, peanut butter and chocolate too make a great combination and blend together without the flavors overpowering the other.
What Is Aquafaba?
You may be seeing a lot of recipe using Aquafaba lately and wonder why some of your favorite vegan dairy-free desserts are using this ingredient.
Aquafaba is the thick liquid that results from soaking or cooking chickpeas; some food bloggers say you can also use the liquid from any legumes like great northern beans.
The liquid from cans beans is the same but without the wait or preparation of dried beans. It's so popular in vegan cooking because its a great substitute for eggs and egg whites in recipes because aids in structure, leavening and color of baked goods and desserts.
Where To Get And How to Store Aquafaba?
We get our liquid from canned chickpeas for Aquafaba when we make hummus. This keeps very well in the fridge for 2 / 3 days. You can also purchase Aquafaba powder or in a liquid version too.
You can store your leftover aquafaba liquid in a airtight container in the refrigerator for a few days. However it’s best to freeze for maximum usage.
Things To Do With Aquafaba
The aquafaba can be used to make: meringues, ice cream, “butter”cream frosting or marshmallow fluff and more. Vegansociety.com has a great article about 20 different things you can do with Aquafaba.
More Dairy-Free Vegan Desserts Recipe
Simple & Easy To Make Peanut Butter Banana Mousse (Dairy Free + Vegan)
- Blender or Food Processor
- Hand Mixer
- 6 ounce Silken tofu - drained
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter
- 1 Banana - small
- 4 tablespoon Maple syrup
- 1/3 cup Aquafaba
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- 3 teaspoons Almond Milk
- Add the silken tofu, banana, peanut butter, vanilla, cinnamon and maple syrup to a blender or food processor
- Blend until completely smooth
- Scoop mix into a bowl and place into the refrigerator while you make the whipped cream
How To Make Aquafaba Whipped Cream
- Drain chickpea liquid from a can of chickpeas into a measuring cup (this is Aquafaba)
- Measure out 1/3 cup of liquid and pour into bowl
- Add lemon juice
- With a hand mixer, mix the Aquafaba between 10 and 15 minutes, whipping it until you have stiff peaks
- Gently fold the aquafaba into the peanut butter banana mixture using a spatula
- Spoon mix into small cups or jars and place into refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight for best results
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
If you give this vegan peanut butter mousse recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
And check out some of our plant-based and gluten-free breakfast recipes on www.thevgnway.com
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way