Looking for a little twist on a simple, quick granola recipe. We have you covered. Sweet and Salty but not a lot of sugar. This homemade vegan gluten-free granola recipe is a great topping on yogurt or ice cream or a healthy-ish quick snack.
Making homemade vegan gluten-free granola is super easy and good way to cut out all the extra additives and preserved of store bought. And lets not talk about the amount of sugar you'll be able to cut out. We’ve added sesame seeds and pecans to the traditional recipe to give it a nice nutty kick. Other great seeds and nuts to add flaxseed, hemp seeds and or chia seed to add some hearty healthy omegas to your morning breakfast ritual.
Ways to eat granola:
- On Waffles
- Ice cream and sundaes
- A great additional to a baked sweet potatoes for breakfast (see below)
- You can add nuts and dried fruit for tasty trail mix style snack
MORE SWEET POTATO BREAKFAST RECIPES
Enjoy your homemade granola with a plant based milk, over vegan yogurt, or on its own! Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 to 3 weeks.
Are Oats Gluten-Free?
Oatmeal is gluten free. The issue is cross contamination. Most commercial oats are processed in facilities that also process wheat, this ingredients can contaminate oats. For those with Celiac, Wheat allergies or intolerances even a trace amount of gluten can cause severe discomfort. The best solution is to buy oats that are certified gluten-free by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization, a branch of the Gluten Intolerance Group.
How To Make Gluten-Free Low Sugar Granola?
Store bought granola can have upwards of 14g of sugar per serving. Our granola clocks in at approximately 4g. By making your own you get to control that exact number. We use 2 tablespoons of maple syrup to sweeten the granola and keep the sugar down. We find that plenty sweet but you could add another tablespoon and still keep it lower than store bought. If you do decide to add more, add a few minutes to your cooking time and watch closely as not to burn.
How To Make Vegan Gluten-Free Granola?
PECAN SESAME SEED GRANOLA
- Baking Sheet pan
- Parchment Paper
- ½ cup Rolled Oats
- 2 tablespoons Maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Black sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons Chopped Pecans - Alternatives include almonds or cashews
- 1 tablespoons Chia seeds
- 1 tablespoons hemp seeds
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a bowl combine oats, nuts, evoo, maple syrup, salt and sesame seeds. include any optional ingredients of your choice
- Place parchment paper on baking sheet
- Spread mixture on parchment paper, don't overcrowd if you like crunchy granola
- Bake for 12 to 18 minutes. For smaller baking sheet cook 18 minutes and for larger 12 minutes.
- Before granola completely cools, stir with a rubber spatula so crystallized sugars in the granola don't stick to the parchment paper
- Keeps great on counter top for up to a week
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe
If you give this gluten free vegan recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way