Looking for a little twist on your favorite healthy breakfast cereal. Try our quick and simple sesame granola recipe. Less than 6 ingredients. Naturally sweetened with maple syrup. A great sweet and salty snack. This homemade vegan black sesame granola recipe is a great topping on yogurt, ice cream or a healthy-ish quick snack.
Making homemade vegan gluten-free granola is a super easy and good way to cut out all the extra additives and preservatives of store bought. And let’s not talk about the amount of sugar you'll be able to cut. We’ve added sesame seeds and pecans to the traditional recipe to give it a nice nutty kick.
Other great seeds and nuts to add to homemade gluten-free granola: flaxseed, hemp seeds and or chia seed to add some hearty healthy omegas to your morning breakfast ritual.
Why This Recipe Works:
- It makes an easy breakfast served over vegan Greek yogurt or topping your favorite smoothie bowls.
- It's sweetened with maple syrup. This healthier version of granola doesn't have any refined white or brown sugar.
Key Ingredients & Substitutions
- Old Fashioned Rolled Oats - Make sure to use old-fashioned oats as they are the base of the granola and not quick cooking oats, instant, or steel-cut.
- Black Sesame Seeds - have an earthy, nutty flavor. White sesame seeds are also a good substitute.
- Pecans - for a nutty crunch.
- Maple Syrup - to add sweetness.
- Vanilla extract - adds subtle vanilla taste to the granola.
- Avocado Oil - you can use a different neutral oil like olive oil, canola or refined coconut oil.
- Dried fruits: coconut flakes
- Spices: ground cinnamon
- Nuts or seeds: almonds, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
- Seeds: chia seeds or hemp seeds
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a small rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, stir together oats, nuts, oil, maple syrup, salt and sesame seeds. If using optional ingredients add-ins now. Mix until evenly combined.
Step 3: Spread the oat mixture in an even layer on the parchment paper, don't overcrowd if you like crunchy granola. Press mixture down with a wooden spoon or spatula before baking.
Step 4: Bake, stir halfway through. Press the stirred granola down with spatula. Bake 20 minutes until golden brown.
For smaller cookie sheets bake for 20 minutes and for larger baking trays for 15 minutes.
TIP: Cool granola completely before breaking into pieces for big crunchy granola chunks.
Step 5: Remove from oven and cool completely. Enjoy your homemade granola with a plant based milk, over vegan yogurt, or on its own!
Step 6: Store leftovers in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 3 weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Oatmeal is gluten free. The issue is cross contamination. Most commercial oats are processed in facilities that also process wheat, these ingredients can contaminate oats.
For those with Celiac, Wheat allergies or intolerances even a trace amount of gluten can cause severe discomfort.
The best solution is to buy oats that are certified gluten-free by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization, a branch of the Gluten Intolerance Group.
Store bought granola can have upwards of 14g of sugar per serving.
Our granola clocks in at approximately 4g. By making your own you get to control that exact number. We use 2 tablespoons of maple syrup to sweeten the granola and keep the sugar down.
Thoroughly coat dry ingredients with maple syrup and oil.
Press the granola into the pan before you bake it.
Don’t stir granola while it’s baking.
Let it cool completely before breaking the granola into clumps.
To Store. Cool before storing in airtight jar or ziplock bag. Store on counter for up to 4 weeks.
Prepare In Advance. Can make a few days in advance. Keeps well in cool, dry space.
More Breakfast Recipes
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below & if you REALLY like it, consider a comment down below. Thanks!
Easy To Make Black Sesame Granola Recipe
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- Baking Sheet pan
- Parchment Paper
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 6 tablespoons Chopped Pecans - Alternatives include almonds or cashews
- 4 tablespoons Maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoon Black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoons Chia seeds
- 1 tablespoons Hemp seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together oats, nuts, oil, maple syrup, salt and sesame seeds. If using optional ingredients add-ins now. Mix until evenly combined.
- Spread the oat mixture in an even layer on the parchment paper, don't overcrowd if you like crunchy granola. Press mixture down with a wooden spoon or spatula before baking.
- Bake, stir halfway through. Press the stirred granola down with spatula. Bake 20 minutes until golden brown. (For smaller cookie sheets bake for 20 minutes and for larger baking trays for 15 minutes.)
- Remove from oven and cool completely. Enjoy your homemade granola with a plant based milk, over vegan yogurt, or on its own!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 3 weeks.
These nutritional figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe
If you give this gluten free vegan recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, or take a picture and tag and us on Instagram #thevgnway.
Live Love and Eat Good Food!
The Vgn Way